PDA

View Full Version : Day I Fought The Fascists

Happytalk
09-23-2006, 02:11 PM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=17805815%26method=full%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

This is a lovely story of the ordinary british people doing what it does best (IMO) and that is standing up for the rights of others. This happened in 1936 while Europe was being overrun with facist organisations such as Hitlers Germany, Francos Spain, etc and WW2 was only a few years away.

When I was a teenager in the 80s and the NF marched in London, there would be the anti-NF supporters there to ensure they didn't have a good time of it.

One thing struck me as I was reading this story was where are the supporters of Islam? If, as certain muslims claim, they are being picked on and vilified, why aren't non muslim supporters marching on the government and facist organisations? The British sense of justice is one thing that can always be relied upon, therefore why aren't the ordinary joe public sticking up for muslims?

skinny
09-23-2006, 02:18 PM
[ The British sense of justice is one thing that can always be relied upon, therefore why aren't the ordinary joe public sticking up for muslims?

Are you mad? and, why should they?

Happytalk
09-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Are you mad? and, why should they?
Because, as in this story, the British always stand up for the underdog (which is what islam is forever playing itself as).

skinny
09-23-2006, 03:25 PM
always, are you sure?

Happytalk
09-23-2006, 03:31 PM
always, are you sure?
Maybe i'm thinking that everyone thinks and acts like me as I would certainly stand up for the underdog and have on many occasions.

You think that the british public will put up with injustice and will not stand up for the underdog?

Will
09-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Are Muslims the underdog? Looks to me like they're managing fine on their own. If it were necessary I'm sure people would march in their defence, but what exactly would we currently march for?

ahwell
09-23-2006, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=Happytalk

One thing struck me as I was reading this story was where are the supporters of Islam? If, as certain muslims claim, they are being picked on and vilified, why aren't non muslim supporters marching on the government and facist organisations? The British sense of justice is one thing that can always be relied upon, therefore why aren't the ordinary joe public sticking up for muslims?

I think thats a question most ordinary people know the answer for. If i were you i would go do some more soul searching.

Bruv
09-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Turn your thinking on its head Happy.
The British public sticking up for the underdog.......?
Who is the underdog?
If muslims were seen to be in need of support the great British public would be there.
The underdog in these strange times is the great British public....who's impartiality is being tested by world and home events. Nobodies freedoms are being curtailed as much as the everyday joes, in reaction to a minority who are causing chaos worldwide.The sense of justice is being shown by NOT panicking, NOT marching against or for the muslim causes......

Happytalk
09-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Sorry, I should have explained myself properly instead of thinking you are all mindreaders!

Does anyone think that we are being subtley manipulated over time by the government through the media to hate muslims? I do and it has left me feeling uneasy.

I've read a lot about holocaust survivors and they all say the same thing that it happened over time and in those days it was the norm to hate the jews and to view them as subhuman. The manipulation has to start somewhere and it starts with the government through the media to the people. Where is this manipulation (if it is such) going to end? Personally, i'm letting my mind run away with me and its reaching sinister conclusions.

But, for example, when the cartoons surfaced, the reaction from the muslim community was totally over the top. They murdered innocent people, they burnt down buildings, they caused massive offence to me by saying that all westerners should die, etc, etc. And then the pope said that islam was a murderous regime (or words to that effect) and what do they do? They go and murder an innocent nun!

Islam may be over senstive, afterall, westerners regularly offend other religions with jokes and they are free to do so, are we supposed to stop offending islam for fear of death and destruction? Isn't that just another form of terrorism?

What I am trying saying is that I can understand the (or should that be my!?) logic that islam may be being turned into the jews of nazi germany but i'm not sure that my sympathy (therefore my protestations) is as strong as it should be as islam makes it so hard for me to understand and therefore forgive.