PDA

View Full Version : How would society in the UK change without alcohol?

gonzales
04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
To many life without alcohol is not an option, but considering the carnage, death, destruction, crime, child abuse would society in the UK be better off without alcohol?

eatmywords
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Interesting, but I could point you to China prior to the Western Infection. An interesting trend however is, that with the introduction of tea into western culture, and the turn away from alcohol, it improved people's health and substituting tea for alcohol lengthened their life-expectancy by a number of years.

Historically alcohol was the main source of liquid refreshment for the UK. There was no taxation and so it was a cultural phenomenon, and since most people survived by the land until the 1860s, most people brewed their own ale or cider.

However, in a capitalist economy the growth of the brewing industry is a major source of employment and taxation.

Based on your question, I'm really not sure you can level all the world's problems at the feet of alcohol; there is another liquid we are currently murdering for presently. Consider the child-abuse in the Catholic Church, I'm fairly certain not all priests are driven by the alcoholic urges to rapes children. However, the only way, apparently, Nazi Germany could commit the genocidal crimes was by keeping the guards at the concentration camps constantly drunk. But this is through motivation. Although there was that test - the psychologist's name escapes me - whereby a person in a white coat told innocent civilians to keep pressing a button, despite screams and pleading from the opposite room. Despite these screams, through the reassurance of the guy in the white-coat, about 80% of people kept pressing the button.

And my opinion, while the Conservatives are in charge, were much better off with it.

Will
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
The UK does have a serious problem with alcohol. However as much as a utopian vision of a booze free Britain is nice, it's utterly unrealistic. You couldn't ban it because as Eaty says, it's a major source of tax. Apart from that, you'd simply be handing the keys to the Kingdom to every criminal organisation out there. We'd have lost billions in tax, and not only that we'd have to spend billions more in enforcing a ban on the most popular drug in the UK.

eatmywords
04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
...you'd simply be handing the keys to the Kingdom to every criminal organisation out there. We'd have lost billions in tax, and not only that we'd have to spend billions more in enforcing a ban on the most popular drug in the UK.

That is a good point, US prohibition caused more death and misery in the short-term, and showed no signs of abating right up to the end. Besides which, we'd have lost a whole host of cool films if there had never been a prohibition.

There is the case however, is the money we raise in taxation only being funnelled back into the NHS to resolve drink-related crimes and disease?

Ishouldberunningthecountr
04-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Look at what happened with prohibition in the US. I drink but I never get people who get blind drunk all the time. I have not been drunk for 20 years or more and when I was never fought anyone, never smashed anything up.

If you look at something like ecstasy during the early years or raves it actually led to a reduction in violent crime- and alcohol use went down.

24hour drinking should be stopped without a doubt as should all these happy hours and pay 5 drink as much as you can.

Will
04-05-2011, 12:28 AM
That is a good point, US prohibition caused more death and misery in the short-term, and showed no signs of abating right up to the end. Besides which, we'd have lost a whole host of cool films if there had never been a prohibition.

There is the case however, is the money we raise in taxation only being funnelled back into the NHS to resolve drink-related crimes and disease?

Most likely true. However unless alchohol prohibition was actually succesful then the burden on the NHS would most likely be the same, if not worse. Illegal booze would probably be stronger and have far more dangerous chemicals in it.

Mr Muckspreader
04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi,

One of the mantras that helps in most situations, I have found is:

"When in doubt - Drink heavily"

Mr Muck

teranick
04-13-2011, 04:49 PM
Hi eatmywords:

I am reliably informed that tea from areas in parts of India and Africa contains levels of Fluoride in excess of WHO maximum admissable concentration (MAC)..

eatmywords
04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Hi eatmywords:

I am reliably informed that tea from areas in parts of India and Africa contains levels of Fluoride in excess of WHO maximum admissable concentration (MAC)..

I don't doubt it teranick, and it also contains trace levels of aluminium, which is carcinogenic. But the difference between tea and alcohol is extreme. If we can discount the conditions of the 18th century, which were harsh, drinking 3-5 tankards of ale per day cannot aid in the constitution of the individual.