PDA

View Full Version : F1 and Rupert Murdoch

Stephen H
05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Should we be worried that Murdoch is after getting his hands onto F1?

eatmywords
05-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Is it Sky that's getting it, or is Murdoch buying the franchise?

Ishouldberunningthecountr
05-04-2011, 10:14 AM
It was a closed world where a few boys in the club made vast amounts of money all controlled by ecclestone -so I don't see what difference it makes who controls it.

But you see you non of you can offer any opinion about murdoch because uk law means that they'll sue you for liable and even if you won you only get 75% of your costs.

Its another shit arse growth industry for the shit hole that is the UK liable toursim.

Was on tv last night about soem scientist who was sued -he won but he had loads of money to fight it if hed lost his bill would have been 250,000 he was 50,000 out of pocket even though he won.

Stephen H
05-04-2011, 04:58 PM
What worries me ois that some Italian Investment company is in collusion with Murdoch, the question is, what ties does that investment company have to Ferrari?

We could end up with a F1 that is controlled by Ferrari and whose television rights are given to Sky TV.

I am an ardent F1 fan but am afraid if that happens then I would be switching off.

05-04-2011, 05:22 PM
I have not watched f1 for years so dont kepe up with changes -I got bored with all the rules changes all the time and it became just a procession -are they refueling still or have they banend that again-are slick tyres banne dor have they gone back to slick tyres are turbos still banned or is that what kers is

lol i just got bored with it...around teh time of hill/schumacher - i think the last entertaining driver was mansell in the years he fought with senna.

eatmywords
05-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I have not watched f1 for years so dont kepe up with changes -I got bored with all the rules changes all the time and it became just a procession...

I too stopped watching it with all the rule changes, around the time of Mansell's retirement. It was an interesting event to watch on Sunday, when it was more open with the Sennas and the... er... other people. I then turned to TOCA, but then they flaming changed the rules in that. And then they changed the rules of Rugby League when it went over to Sky and I stopped watching that! I used to be an ardent Wigan fan back in the 80s.

But with regard to F1A, I don't think Sky can do any more damage than has already been done even if Ferarri were to monopolise the sport. Don't you think since tobacco advertising has been outlawed in these sports, the entertainment value has also declined. Snooker, Darts, Rugby League, F1A, etc.

Stephen H
05-04-2011, 05:41 PM
To those who have not watched for some time!

F1, at the moment, is the most entertaining it has ever been.
New rules including Moveable rear wing, Kers, tyres, refuelling etc etc, have all served to make the sport more of a level playing field.
The one part of F1 that now decides who will win, by and large, is the skill of the driver.
Yes there are still large differences betwen the top teams and the newbies at the back, but believe me, it would be a very brave man who placed a bet on any particular team to win.

Years have passed since the last time the leader of a race had lapped everyone up to second or third place. No refuellng and cautious use of limited tyre supplies, Kers and moveable wings have made it a game of cat and mouse.

Go on! tune into the next race, you may be pleasantly suprised

Mack
05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
F 1 is still a source of ",on the edge of your seat entertainment," for millions around the world. In this country, most fans watch the events freely on TV. What would be the bargaining position of the ,free view companies, if the Murdoch, and Co, should actually own F1, whilst having major holdings in TV companies in direct competition with the free view companies mentioned. Everything Murdoch, does is aimed at cornering not just the viewing outlet but the source to that outlet. From a business prospective it makes perfect sense. From a fans perspective , tell him to get lost.

05-05-2011, 05:14 PM
Ill watch it again when we get a decent British Driver like Mansell, Or Hill (not Damon) I cant stand Hamilton-at least Button has a personality.

eatmywords
05-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Look at that, I watch the Monaco grand prix, and it's still as bad as usual. Running over a chicane is a time penalty, dangerously overtaking on the inside is a time penalty - lmao XD

05-30-2011, 04:40 PM
I watched the Monaco Grand Prix, all but ten minutes of it when I went to shops for food.

It was quite entertaining actually, what I can't understand is why they bothered restarting with only 7 laps left after a red flag.

My worry is whether DRS etc will make it a procession again.

05-30-2011, 04:44 PM
As of the time penalty - thats been the case for years that was all the controversy with schumacher and senna when they just used to turn in on people and ram them off the road. Like that sheat schumacher used to do to Hill junior.

As for running over a curb -well the idea is to go round the challenging corners - you are usually penalised if you gain a place from it.

If it's to avoid an accident then a view is taken by stewards.

eatmywords
05-30-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't know about a time penalty because you're picking up sand, grass and/or gravel by running over the chicane. So effectively you're picking up a time penalty with worn tyres anyway.

05-30-2011, 05:48 PM
They don't have gravel at Monacao, they don't at most new circuits now days. So damage to tyres negligable.

eatmywords
07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I imagine this has gone up in smoke too.