PDA

View Full Version : Could Catholism be about to leave the middle ages?

Northumbrian
02-12-2013, 01:22 AM
It seems that Pope Ratzinger is standing down as head of the Catholic church. I'd like to wish him a happy retirement, but on behalf of all the millions of children in Africa he is responsible for giving AIDS to, I don't have the stomach.

Wouldn't it be nice if the Catholic church elected a dynamic young Pope who wasn't stuck in the 15th century? Someone who wasn't hopelessly out of touch with 99% of the population? Someone who didn't have extreme and bizarre views on abortion and contraception? Someone who was prepared to be tolerant regarding homosexuality, divorce and women priests? Someone who would face up to the scandal of paedophile priests and their protection by the Catholic church?

Who am I kidding ... we are talking about the Catholic church here!

Mr Muckspreader
02-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Well Northumbrian,

For once I have to say I am in total agreement with you!

Nurse! Nurse!!!

:D

Mr Muck

Mack
02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Well Northumbrian,

For once I have to say I am in total agreement with you!

Nurse! Nurse!!!

:D

Mr Muck Ditto.

Will
02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Be nice wouldn't it? but I don't think the Catholic church want people thinking in a modern way. If they do that they might start thinking for themselves, and that way can only lead to disaster for any religion.

eatmywords
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
The Pope has AIDS?

eatmywords
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
It certainly seems Ratzinger's boss isn't too happy with the decision, sending a lightening bolt to the Basilica hours after the decision.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/feb/12/lightning-vatican-peter-basilica-video

Patman Post
03-10-2013, 03:24 PM
It appears we could have two Popes. Perhaps it's best they both live in the Vatican. Having another one elsewhere could take the Roman Catholic Church back many centuries to 1378-1417 when the one church nearly destroyed itself...

Rook
03-11-2013, 10:16 AM
I only hope that the next pope will be youngish, so that I don't have to live with the artificial hype over a 'new' pope every 5 years

Patman Post
03-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I bet you complain over the coverage given to the US presidential elections too...

Rook
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I bet you complain over the coverage given to the US presidential elections too...

Nope, that has an impact on my life and that of the world . . . very important . . .

Northumbrian
03-14-2013, 03:45 AM
Well, the Catholic Church has responded to the need to address the problems of the modern world by electing an austere 76 year old regressive who believes contraception is a sin, and priests should remain celibate. That will be AIDS for a few million more babies in Africa then I guess! Not to mention a few more choirboys with sore bottoms. At least he might not be around too long, as he only has one lung!

Amusing to watch the Catholic Church piling up the wood on its own bonfire, and not before time too. They might love this new pope in South America, but I can imagine the pews in Europe emptying still further. As with Ratzinger, this man has links with Fascism ... an apparent fetish for Catholics. This time not with Nazi Germany, but with the Argentinian Junta. Apparently, he was instrumental in supporting the Junta crack down on Jesuit priests who highlighted the plight of the poor in Argentina. One hopes that the UK government will give this man very short shrift if he attempts to use his position to bolster Argentina's aggressive and illegal stance towards the Falkland islanders.

mostyn
03-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Its incredible to think that britain is one of the most secular countries in the world, the catholic church has been absent for only a mere 500 years, and religion has very little effect in the country and yet the atheists in this country still seem to blame it for all the woes they suffer.
Their obsession with it is very pyschologically revealing.
Britain is a country that has virtually collapsed socially, politically, economically, morally, even and yet the atheists STIIL blame the church.
Reminds me of Stalinism - no, the Revolution really has succeeded, or it will suceed if we just destroy the country a bit more, attack the church just a bit more.
Whilst overlooking the cataclysm the country is in and produced by their own screwed up thinking.

eatmywords
03-14-2013, 10:41 AM
The Catholic Church isn't necessarily absent from Britain, it's just not the State religion. The Metropolitan Catholic Church in Liverpool was built in the 1960s to cater the large Irish-Catholic population in that city. The monarch is the head of the Church of England, which is necessarily an odd thing.

Rook
03-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Its incredible to think that britain is one of the most secular countries in the world

You can't make that claim when we still have (unelected) bishops sitting in our second chamber . . . :coco:

religion has very little effect in the country

But the effects it does have - those that are newsworthy - are almost unrelentlessly bad (from a secularist PoV). Fucking children and covering it up, opposing even secular marriage for gays, condeming Africans for wearing condoms and of course, blowing themselves (and us) up. I'm sure there are other examples, but you get the gist