Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teach children about winning and losing

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
    For some reason, this sort of 'Nanny State' stuff only seems to pertain to state schools, I have never encountered it in the three independent schools I have worked in. I think it's stupid. Kids must learn to win and lose, it's life after all.

Not everyone is a winner though. I thoroughly disagree with your sentiments. Yes they may apply in the three independant schools you've worked in! Why wouldn't they! Rich kids with nothing to fear! Back to where most of us come from though, the reality is that none of us do get the good jobs, the good holidays, the good christmas pressies!
    Giving children confidence is the main thing. Enabling them to be confident individuals is the main thing. It's not about winning, although it is very nice to win, but most people do not win.

I'd like to ask you what you would do with a child who consistently lost. Is that child a loser? Is that what you're saying? "Oh well, looks like you're last again". What is that giving the child, in terms of education? Hell, I'm not even a teacher! I very much understand that celebrating success is a good thing, but imho, you should not celebrate loss, and in any one thing, there can only be 1 winner. I'd like to qualify what I've said by saying my eldest has always been a "winner", in terms of behaviour and results. My middle child has dyspraxia, and a kinder, more generous and funny child you could not meet. My youngest is much like my eldest.

Kids do learn to win and lose all by themselves. They do not need teachers to come along and impress further upon them how much of a winner, or loser they are.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pie'n'mash View Post
    My daughters sports day last June gave away gold, silver and bronze awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize but they also gave certificates to all who participated. I think that's fair and quite nice for those that are not very fast.

My daughter got a bronze.

Why is my dog not running, it makes it seem silly me putting the dog there?
    Best post here,fully agree kids must learn that competion is good,and that particapating is worthwhile....

Quote Originally Posted by brian aitchison View Post
    Best post here,fully agree kids must learn that competion is good,and that particapating is worthwhile....
    Well I have awful pictures of my son (aged 7 at the time) who is dyspraxia with very loose muscle tone doing the 3-legged race and falling every few steps,,,the girl he was tied to was in utter pain,,,,the pics are awful. They were last. he was last in everything. Didn't get 6 of those "thanks for taking part but you were shit" stickers as happily they only give out gold, silver and bronze. Participating is great for those who love team sports. For those who are scared of team sports, it's a nightmare.

He is brilliant in other areas. Not everyone is good at sports. Shame they don't have a "drawing day" which is held in as high an esteem as "sports day".

Zoo Animal

Quote Originally Posted by bettyfjord View Post
    For those who are scared of team sports, it's a nightmare.

He is brilliant in other areas. Not everyone is good at sports. Shame they don't have a "drawing day" which is held in as high an esteem as "sports day".
    I'am sure both your son & his husband well fully grown, will so badly scarred by competitive sports that we should ban them.....