Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing love it or hate it

Default Fishing love it or hate it

I for one love it .I think it's relaxing ,therapeutic ,challenging and exciting at times.
    Those out there who are from the animal rights brigade are quite welcome to slaughter me but will never change my opinion.
    I'm a specific carp angler.Thats not to say i've never been mad for "bit bashing" for smaller species.
    The reason i started this thread is because it is a highly technical sport from bait to boots.I haven't fished for 4 plus years but decided to get back into it so i bought this months edition of Carpworld.It appeared to me that ....broadly speaking.... not much had changed .Most things were different approaches to the same methods.
    One thing caught my though and that was rice instead of maggots or with maggots.Apparently it takes on colour and flavour well which i suppose is logical i suppose considering the obvious.
    So's not to bore you to much i'll leave it at that and will be interested to see whether anybody has anything to say onthe subject or reply at all

I see the fishing thread really took off!

I really can't see the point of fishing. Each to his own though.

Question fish

why would a fisher fish for support?is he or her doubting the point of sitting for hours on end with all sorts of thought going through his or hers head,and if by chance they catch a useless fish,throw it back to go through the same pointless excersize at some later date.

Ah....you don't seem to understand, it's pitting your brain against that of a fish.

What I'd like to know is how wearing a certain type of footwear can help you catch more fish?
    Do they swim around the bait, look at what you've got on your feet, then say to themselves, okay, he's got the latest footwear as suggested in Carpworld, I'll go for his bait because he's a serious fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    Ah....you don't seem to understand, it's pitting your brain against that of a fish.

IT is in a number of ways like fish location,bait,tackle and weather to a certain extent.Weather wise it's been pr-oven apparently that catch rates do go up in some different weather conditions.

What I'd like to know is how wearing a certain type of footwear can help you catch more fish?

No they're to keep your feet warm....fool....so you can stick around to catch more fish.Ipersonnally don't spend stupid amounts of money on basically a pair of wellies.I just put more socks on or just don't go when there's snow on the ground.

Do they swim around the bait, look at what you've got on your feet, then say to themselves, okay, he's got the latest footwear as suggested in Carpworld, I'll go for his bait because he's a serious fisherman.
    that i'll just ignore if i may. I don't think i've got the hang of this quoteing yet .Hope you can work it out.....soz
    Last edited by skinny; 04-30-2006 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny
    that i'll just ignore if i may. I don't think i've got the hang of this quoteing yet .Hope you can work it out.....soz
    No you haven't.

I did make sense of it but I still think there are far better things to do with your time than fishing, like watching paint dry!

Quote Originally Posted by tigger
    why would a fisher fish for support?is he or her doubting the point of sitting for hours on end with all sorts of thought going through his or hers head,and if by chance they catch a useless fish,throw it back to go through the same pointless excersize at some later date.

I don't understand the "fish for support bit at all.

I have thoughts going through my head soon as my eyes are open in the morning and probably most of my sleep .You've got me worried now i thought it was normal.

One of the main points of fishing is to go with a strategy and catcth that way and not by chance.
    Carp are not useless.Most of...if not all strains of big carp were brought here by monks to eat :hence the leather carp being bred meaning no scales for easier preperation for cooking.

I put fish back because their welfare comes first.....enter A.R's protest....

If a fish is found to get caught a lot it is called a mug fish and removed for its own good and sent to the farm up the road!...nudge nudge wink wink

Default monks

come on skinny who eats carp? how many monks have you known?are we not in the year 2006?that poor carp you take to the farm.you will now say fish do not feel pain.do you talk to fish?bet you've never heard one reply

Quote Originally Posted by tigger
    come on skinny who eats carp? how many monks have you known?are we not in the year 2006?that poor carp you take to the farm.you will now say fish do not feel pain.do you talk to fish?bet you've never heard one reply

People inJapan, China,Hungary and Isreal eat carp and have done for years. The fish are farmed for this purpose.

I must admit i haven't met any monks in my life... which i'm not too worried about.

If you are not too sure about what year you are in i can confirm you are indeed in 2006.

As for fish feeling pain .I think it depends whether you are pro or anti fishing .
    My take on it is fish have the same receptor cell (NOCICEPTORS) near the skin.... same as humans. So they can recognise the perception of pain.When these cells send the message to the brain.....nameley the frontel lobe apparently......the fish don't even have that part of the brain never mind the brain capacity to process nociceptive instruction to feel pain.

I'm no proff .

Ihave spoken to the fish and heard thier reply but i suspect that had something to do with some good smoke and a bottle of Jagermeister.

thanks skinney for the refreshing reply to my remarks on your pastime. keep on relaxing on the waters edge.try not to nod off the waters cold to the humans. god knows what keeps the fish alive at that temprature. could you take wayne with you he'll be pi#### off now, perhaps a pair of your old fishing boots would help to protect his feet.the ballet shoes they wear today are obviously unsuitable.don't throw any of them away!: