Thread: Back Up

Default Back Up

Hello all.....Iv been off line for.....at least two days....seems like forever.

When I arrived home saturday to check my emails......I couldn't open any programs.Everytime I clicked I got a warning oleaut 32 dll missing unable to open program.....not the exact wording....but you get the drift.
    I could open folders on the desktop, but they were not as before nothing was visible....until I clicked on large icons.....
    I didn't panic.......then it started to go wrong bigtime.
    All the settings altered.....when re-starting there were long lists of things that weren't loading...... kept starting in safe mode....couldn't scan for viruses....program wouldn't open.
    Anyway to cut a long story short.....I have lost all my email addresses, had to set up my email account again, had to down load new firewall, antivirous,Zip prog,browser, email client.....lots of work on other projects (building a website) etc lists of things that I wont know till I want them again....photos from my daughter in america (my 8th grandchild's photos) Yes I am that old.............

The point of this post ?

Back up everything that you will miss......when.....not if.... your PC crashes.
    I will be struggling for months until I can re install all the little bits and pieces you acquire over time...that you take for granted....until they all disappear.
    I thought I knew more than this...before I started talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bruv View Post
    Hello all.....Iv been off line for.....at least two days....seems like forever.

When I arrived home saturday to check my emails......I couldn't open any programs.Everytime I clicked I got a warning oleaut 32 dll missing unable to open program.....not the exact wording....but you get the drift.
    I could open folders on the desktop, but they were not as before nothing was visible....until I clicked on large icons.....
    I didn't panic.......then it started to go wrong bigtime.
    All the settings altered.....when re-starting there were long lists of things that weren't loading...... kept starting in safe mode....couldn't scan for viruses....program wouldn't open.
    Anyway to cut a long story short.....I have lost all my email addresses, had to set up my email account again, had to down load new firewall, antivirous,Zip prog,browser, email client.....lots of work on other projects (building a website) etc lists of things that I wont know till I want them again....photos from my daughter in america (my 8th grandchild's photos) Yes I am that old.............

The point of this post ?

Back up everything that you will miss......when.....not if.... your PC crashes.
    I will be struggling for months until I can re install all the little bits and pieces you acquire over time...that you take for granted....until they all disappear.

bravo .....bravo Bruv

Or buy a laptop and load it all onto that.................

Have to say Bruv, that sounds like a virus.

Good advice Bruv.

I shall be getting re writtable CD's soon.

So what is this website of your's then?

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Or buy a laptop and load it all onto that.................

Have to say Bruv, that sounds like a virus.
    Most definately a virus......when I finally got up and working again late last night.....visited here to re instate my bookmarks (lost loads of them and all)
    I couldnt find this site.....I thought briefly that I had caught something here....from one of our ne-er do wells attacking this site....and the site was down...............happened I missed out a dash....or whatever they call them.

Bloody laptops...kids toys....
    I thought I knew more than this...before I started talking

Bloody laptops...kids toys....
    I disagree. My husband has a very important database to maintain. A copy is on the laptop, just incase. Also as he/we travel a lot, it is useful to keep up with things and people. Also acts as a DVD player when in the hotel.