Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DNA database 'breach of rights'

Quote Originally Posted by Ishouldberunningthecountr View Post
    but what are you defining as a troll - i dont use this modern language i hate it
    I see. That's the object of your ire. To troll, in this instance is to deviate widely from the topic. And I was describing myself in that instance. Much how this interesting topic has deviated.

I will add, I do like the occasional diversion, and even happy to see a thread continue when it is patently obvious the newsworthiness has all but evaporated. But large deviations in the middle of a discussion just detracts from the topic and the enjoyment of others.
    Last edited by eatmywords; 05-04-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishouldberunningthecountr View Post
    lol you'll be telling me next that in the workplace the people who reach the top are not the ass kissers.

I'm deadly serious the country is a joke and 90% of the population are thick as two short planks-this country is awful lets face and stop denying it.
    You have not replied to my question as to why you have not emigrated. I have travelled to most areas of the world (I'm 73), and lived abroad for some years. I still believe Britain is the best country to live in - despite it being overpopulated.

I disagree. The country has been in decline ever since the second world war. The 1960s-god awful concrete estates built everywhere which soon became crime infested drug dens -i have my parents generation to blame for that.

The 1970s manufacturing which was so shoddy and such a poor work ethic that unions brought the country to a halt because they did not like the colour of the bosses tie and the first reliable car in the UK was a Datsun.

Its a myth Britain may have been great in your life time but it hasn't been in mine ...

we now have a situation that is so PC that someone who burns the poppy gets a 50 fine -and if it hadn't been for the people who he was disrespecting (such as both my grandfathers) this country would be run by an Austrian person who would not have allowed muslims, jews, gays, or anyone that didnnt conformto the arian ideal in this country. Yet if I burnt the KOran it would be an international incident and I'd be in prison quicker tahn you can blink.

In what way is this country great -I'm sorry it just isn't.

I to have lived and worked all over the world, the Middle East, Africa, Europeand even Iceland.
    I have had ample opportunity to settle in most of those countries and usually with a far better income than I had in the UK.

I did decide to settle in S. Africa and emmigrated there in the early 90's, only to exit quick sharp when Mandella was released from prison.

I cant explain what it is about the UK, yes, most of what you said about the last 60 years in the Uk is true, and yet, despite the all that, it is still the the safest democracy in which to raise a family.

Yes, there are thousands and thousands of aspects of UK life that get right up your nose, thousands of examples of blatant inequality due to geographic location and class of birth, yet if you have the humanity and morality to see through all of that, then the UK is second to none.

It is, after all, quite easy to treat those who get up your nose with complete indifference and not fear a spear through your mud hut in the middle of the night.

"Great" ?, yes the UK is great, it's great that there are many like minded people whom, despite what consecutive governments throw at them, still manage to walk down the street and greet you with a cheery smile, still plenty of people who would take the time of day to help you if you were in trouble and still many people that would take part in forums such as this and exchange totally differing views in a polite and uninsulting way.

I do get really angry at a lot of aspects of UK life, but I am afraid that when it gets you start hating the country, your own country, then it is time to do something about it, otherwise the hatred will eat you up.

A cup of tea always works wonders for me!

well well have to agree to differ. I think the UK has reached such a state now where he decent people you talk about are in a minority. A sof peopel helping you if you are in trouble -not where I live they would rob you if you dying in the road.

Plus the UK is so violent nowdays as well . I think south africa is a bit of an extreme example.

"street and greet you with a cheery smile, still plenty of people who would take the time of day to help you if you were in trouble and still many people that would take part in forums such as this and exchange totally "- maybe where you live pal not round here or anywhere Ive ever lived. Granted Ive only ever lived in Manchester and London -so maybe cornwall is different.

I think what "eats people up" about our country is the over-bureaucratic nature of the system. Rather than common-sense we tend more and more to look to public services to resolve our problems. I can only just remember the rubbish-collector and grave-digger strikes of the 1970s virtually bringing Liverpool to a grinding halt. Couldn't we the people have organised to collect and dump our own rubbish and bury our dead? Couldn't an enterprising capitalist have exploited the situation and made a fortune collecting people's rubbish? But no, we all stood agape and watched the rubbish collect in our back-alleys expecting the government to resolve the situation. I think it is this inability to resolve our own problems which antagonises people against their own country. And so we stand in a supposed position, that we will accept DNA testing on the scurrilous basis that we must be proved innocent rather than proved guilty. As Thomas Paine said:
    Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one; for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same miseries by a government, which we might expect in a country without government, our calamities are heightened by reflecting that we furnish the means by which we suffer... For were the impulses of conscience clear, uniform, and irresistibly obeyed, man would need no other lawgiver; but that not being the case, he finds it necessary to surrender up a part of his property to furnish the need for the protection of the rest"
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Whilst I agree with you point - if you did that with rubbish now if there was a strike youd probably be fined or put in prison for some ridiculous law youd aparrently broken -like those shop keepers shovelling away the snow from their own doorways when the council were too idle to clear the snow again.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    I think what "eats people up" about our country is the over-bureaucratic nature of the system. Rather than common-sense we tend more and more to look to public services to resolve our problems. I can only just remember the rubbish-collector and grave-digger strikes of the 1970s virtually bringing Liverpool to a grinding halt. Couldn't we the people have organised to collect and dump our own rubbish and bury our dead? Couldn't an enterprising capitalist have exploited the situation and made a fortune collecting people's rubbish? But no, we all stood agape and watched the rubbish collect in our back-alleys expecting the government to resolve the situation. I think it is this inability to resolve our own problems which antagonises people against their own country. And so we stand in a supposed position, that we will accept DNA testing on the scurrilous basis that we must be proved innocent rather than proved guilty. As Thomas Paine said:
    I remember it well it was not just the grave diggers and council bin men, it was delivery drivers, Fords and many others the Union brought out as many as they could it brought the whole nation to a stop, food stores ran low on supplies, petrol stations ran out of fuel, power cuts 3 day week to save fuel, council dumps were closed therefore bags of uncollected rubbish were stockpiled in local parks and squares, travel was reduced to a minimum no chance of getting rid of the rubbish first hurdle geting to the dump, second getting past the picket lines. No chance of that in those days try it and end up in hospital

Ah the good old days the world looked on in dismay and disgust

I would gladly give my DNA to the police as I have nothing to fear. Moreover, I'm very much in favour of compulsory ID cards for ALL legal UK residents. Passports are easy to forge, and they're are many ways of doing it. That is not the case with a modern ID card (not French style) as substituted photos are commonplace in the case of that type.
    I see that many crimes of all types are 'solved' by the use of CCTV ....... This, of course, is excellent news. We now have to ban the use of face coverings of any kind, including hoods.

The police and the government might not always be your 'friend'.