Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DNA database 'breach of rights'

No Stephen, I would not advocate your bomb example. Mainly because I do not think any city is terrorist infested. I would say less than 1% is a potential terrorist.
    However; I am in favour of action which results in "The greater good". e,g, When Britain had the death penalty as a punishment option; let us say 1 in 100 of those executed, later turned out to be not the murderer. This was unfortunate for the executed person. However; when there is no death penalty, many of these killers eventually get released and some go on to kill others. Thus more people actually die. Another point is that when the Police are seeking killers, they do not just step out in the street and pick up the 1st person they find. They start by considering persons who have a record of violent behavior. So, even through that 1 in 100 executed persons did not commit that particular crime; they are often very undesirable members of the community and are best out the way.

Yes those are valid points. BUT there have been several high profile cases over the years about wrongful convictions which call into question the integrity of many public bodies and institutions in this country .

Ive told you before on here you want to see an example of an extremely oppressive regime -look to the UK. If i stood in a field and turned on my stereo and played music characterised by repetitive betas (ie most music has repetative chords or beats) and invited my friends to join me -I would be put in Prison-probably having been beaten up first...

I think the answer with murderers and other abd crimes -life behind bars should meen just that-all though the death penalty has a cost benefit.

Good Morning "Isshouldberunningthecountr" (I love your name!),
    Yes there have been wrongful convictions but you only hear about those. The genuine convictions soon drop out of the news.
    I agree about the cost of keeping people in prison for long periods. I would make them earn their keep. They should be our slaves!

Perhaps US style chain gangs is the answer of murderers.

lol. This thread is going to a dark place
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Not sure why you arrive at that conclusion. Murderers and rapists do currently re-offend time and again. The er is little support for return to hanging.

Make life meen life and make them work during that time now they need to be guarded whilst working so -chain gang- some of them will be violent pyscopaths if you want to put them to work outside the prison walls you need a chain gang and a man with a big gun.

Much as it is trendy to nock the Americans And teher are clearly faults with their society -there are some things they get right - that the UK continue to get so wrong.

or what do suggest give them free smack and a playstation and a tv and a pool table and the vote?- as happens now.

Your surely not advocating that ?

Yes, free smack and a playstation sounds like a perfect solution. I would also send in prostitutes to service them, at least once a month. You are assuming these criminals will be willing to work. What do you suggest if they do not willingly work?

Read Discipline and Punish by Foucault and we'll talk more.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Put them in a punishment block.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Yes, free smack and a playstation sounds like a perfect solution. I would also send in prostitutes to service them, at least once a month. You are assuming these criminals will be willing to work. What do you suggest if they do not willingly work?

Read Discipline and Punish by Foucault and we'll talk more.
    They will work; you just withhold food/drink until they do.
    Actually your chain gang is a brilliant idea. One way to use this system would be to watch "Ben Hur" then revive our shipbuilding industry by building some Gallies and then the slaves can power them and thus move our goods around the world, without using other fuel.

careful-don't agree with someone who disagrees with the moderator you'll get thrown out of the forum ... that's how the internet is sad as most of the UK.

I will now get banned-but that just proves my point now doesn't it

Jesus I hate this country