Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should it be illegal to cause religious offence?

Arrow Should it be illegal to cause religious offence?

Trader convicted for 'No More Mosques' stickers

An Internet trader who put stickers (which had the statement 'no more mosques' and a cartoon figure of a Muslim with a bomb exploding from his head) on his parcels has been convicted and fined for racially aggravated harassment after Muslim postal workers spotted them.

Royal Mail processor Mr Mohammed, who found the stickers, told Stockport magistrates: "I live in a free country and I am very glad to live here, but of course the statement 'no more mosques' offends me. If I was a Christian and someone said 'no more churches' it would be offensive."

Mr Lake, defending, said: "It was an expression of freedom of speech. Freedom to express your views should not only include the inoffensive, but also the contentious, providing it does not provoke violence. And a freedom of speech that does not include the contentious is not worth having."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....er_racist_mail

Having the potential to offend someone, should never be the basis for criminal law.

Are we to believe this postal worker who says he was offended by the no more mosques slogan and not a mention of the cartoon Mozzie with a bomb in his turban?

No more mosques is a fair statement,theres plenty of them around and ive heard the one proposed for london is to be so big it will like the great wall of china be visable from the moon.
    Thats ridiculous and should have never even have been considered for proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledjake View Post
    Are we to believe this postal worker who says he was offended by the no more mosques slogan and not a mention of the cartoon Mozzie with a bomb in his turban?

No more mosques is a fair statement,theres plenty of them around and ive heard the one proposed for london is to be so big it will like the great wall of china be visable from the moon.
    Thats ridiculous and should have never even have been considered for proposal.
    Well, there is a great demand for it. There are 2 million Muslims in Britain of a total population of about 70 million. I would never ban their right to propose plans for more Mosques, likewise the Trader who stuck 'no more mosque' stickers should never have been convicted. It's a disgraceful breach of freedom of expression.

They can propose all they like , if a mosque is so very important to them perhaps they should consider going to where the mosques are ie home.
    Gt Britain is not a Muslim state , not yet anyway.

They can propose all they like , if a mosque is so very important to them perhaps they should consider going to where the mosques are ie home.
    But what if Britain is their home?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    But what if Britain is their home?
    Home is where the heart is my friend and NOTHING will change that.

Home is where the heart is my friend and NOTHING will change that.
    Oh I agree. But it's not very practical measurement of someone’s home!

What i mean is if a man is born abroad , it doesnt make him foreign.Going to the zoo does not make one a monkey.
    Its more so with Muslims,it does not matter one little bit where you are born , you are still a muslim.No such thing as a British muslim , another by product of your country being snatched right from under your nose.

What i mean is if a man is born abroad , it doesnt make him foreign.Going to the zoo does not make one a monkey.
    Its more so with Muslims,it does not matter one little bit where you are born , you are still a muslim.No such thing as a British muslim , another by product of your country being snatched right from under your nose.
    Well you acquire rights as a citizen of the country that you are born in. So anyone born in Britain automatically becomes British in the legal sense.

However, I presume you mean in a cultural and indigenous sense so that a White British male born in China does not make him a Chinese boy. Perhaps White Nationalists including the BNP would agree with you, but I am not so convinced by this dogmatic view of nationality.

Are you suggesting that being British in this sense and a practising Muslim are mutually exclusive?