Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you define 'Religion'?

Question How would you define 'Religion'?

Religion is always being discussed but can we define what religion actually is?

Its faith or belief in a greater being.Sort of like how children have faith in Santa Claus and a belief if they are good rather than naughty presents will mysteriously appear on December 25th.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Religion I guess in its broadest terms, is a set of beliefs that explain our existence. Which require no evidence beyond our absolute faith in that belief.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledjake View Post
    Its faith or belief in a greater being.Sort of like how children have faith in Santa Claus and a belief if they are good rather than naughty presents will mysteriously appear on December 25th.
    I think that’s an unreliable definition of ‘religion’ because it is far too broad in its scope.

I think a definition of religion must include a reference to the supernatural, as you have inserted, but also a reference to the method of achieving what is desired by the divinity.

So I'd define religion in the following way:

Religion is an organized structure to faith which encompasses a set of beliefs, narratives, and practices that give meaning to the follower’s life through reference to deism.
    Last edited by Casper; 04-01-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Casper you are defining religion from a bias point of view , a religious man will always define it using his religion.

Step outside the box and redefine what religion actually is.My anology is not so far off the mark , people believe with complete faith in a being that there is no evidence of its existence in the hope they will get a reward , much like the child and Santa Claus.

Exiledjake, I think it is rather ridiculous to espouse that believing in Santa Claus is a form of religion. The purpose of religion is to fulfil a meaning in one’s own life. The purpose is not solely to reap a reward in the afterlife.

How is my proposed definition bias? My definition fits all forms of religions that we see around the world. I am not religious, but I can appreciate how religion is far more complex than a belief in the magic tooth fairy.

Casper...sigh...nowhere have i said believing in Santa is a religion.I said religion can be likened to believeing in Santa and it is.
    Do the holy rollers not think they will be rewarded in the after life?Muslis too you know , all religion is based on if you behave you get a cookie..a great method to control the weak minded.

I think that religion is primarily a crutch for those who need one.
    How many none believers have been know to pray god save me or similar in life threatening situations. A crutch when it was needed.
    Believing in fairies santa the jolly green giant could all serve the same purpose if the needy soul believed hard enough.
    I personally think that organised religion of any denomination is responsible for many of the worlds ills and several of her wars.
    Wherever we go, every one knows
    It's me and my arrow

http://www.incredible-edible-todmorden.co.uk/

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Religion does bring out the worst in people. But it also brings out the best in a lot of people too. Although not religious in the slightest myself, I do see the good that people of all faiths do, because of their faith. Religion has a bad press because the simple-minded use it as an excuse to kill. If they didn't have religion, they'd still find an excuse to kill.

That is why although I agree with much of what Richard Dawkins says, I abhor his arrogance. Like many religious Zealots who try to shove religion down your throat and convert you. He considers it his duty to convert people into atheists, and just like those Zealots, he belittles anyone who's beliefs don't match his own. I believe he is something of a hypocrite in that regards. A brilliant minded one at though.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Im Pro Easter Bunny at the moment and i offer regards and praise wherever he may hop.
    Ill be a Bunniologist for the immediate future,until my conversion to Santaism around Dec 1