Thread: Eye injury could end Felipe Massa's career

Default Eye injury could end Felipe Massa's career

Felipe Massa's Formula One career appears to be hanging in the balance following confirmation that he has suffered some damage to his left eye.

Massa is in intensive care at the AEK military hospital in Budapest after suffering a skull fracture following a freak accident on Saturday during qualifying for the Hungarian grand prix.

Although the 28-year-old, still in a medically induced coma, has shown signs of improvement after undergoing emergency surgery, it has emerged that Massa may have sustained eye problems. If that is the case, and the Brazilian is unable to see properly in the future, it will mean his days in motor racing are over.

Professor Robert Veres said: "He has suffered some damage to the eye. We don't know if he'll be able to race again."

Earlier today it was reported that Massa had "a quiet night" as he continued his recovery.

After yesterday's race at the Hungaroring, Massa was visited by the Ferrari team principal, Stefano Domenicali, team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and the Brawn GP driver Rubens Barrichello and team principal, Ross Brawn.

It was a spring that had worked loose on Barrichello's car that hit Massa on his helmet at 162mph, causing his injuries and subsequent crash into a tyre barrier.

A Ferrari spokesman said: "Felipe had a quiet night. He is OK, and he is due to have another CT scan today."

Doctors at the hospital were encouraged by the positive results of yesterday's first CT scan following surgery and hoped that Massa would continue to show steady improvement.

A spokesman for the Hungarian defence ministry, under whose jurisdiction the hospital is run, has been quoted as saying on local television that Massa is starting to "communicate actively".

"He reacts when he's spoken to. We are optimistic a slow recovery is beginning," said Istvan Bocskai, who also confirmed Massa could move his hands and legs.

hayat, could you please post a link if possible when posting information like that, soz, but i am a mithering git like that...oh, and lazy

I honestly hope Massa makes a full recovery...i missed the qualifying and watched the race half asleep so can't really comment much on the weekends racing.

I reckon Skinny should fill Massa's space rather than Schumacker.

Oh right next time i will send link with any news