Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is Big Society again?

Getting back on piste....

Big Society?

I reckon teh only person who may have an inkling what it is all about is David Cameron. He hasn't done a very good job of explaining himself so far..

From what I have heard it is people giving up their free time to do stuff for the community. All very laudable and no one is going to argue that this isn't a good thing. However when they start going off on this is a good way to replace stuff that was already done by the state I start to feel a little bit uneasy, because getting volunteers in is one thing, but finding volunteers who have the right skills and acumen to do some of the stuff can be difficult. And then there is all the politics of the 'loudest bearing getting the most grease' within the organisation. I just think the Big Society is the Tories trying to get things done on the cheap and they'll all blame us when it all falls apart.

Mr Muck

A man who is an expert in waffling, the Archbishop of Canterbury, has today denounced Cameron's "Big Society" saying it is nothing more than "aspirational waffle". It is merely a smokescreen to remove any responsibility to the members of society who need the most help from the State, a policy ""designed to conceal a deeply damaging withdrawal of the state from its responsibilities to the most vulnerable"." In a damning indictment against western materialist values, Williams is clearly entering retirement with a final broadside on a deeply uncaring, elitist and greed-fuelled society.

With a government that has failed to invigorate the economy, or any industry, and seems content to allow it to shrink in the face of the billions thrown into that hole, it seems it is far less focussed on society than upon giving their capitalist friends the public money to do very little. And when they run out of that money the government then goes to a source that has no possible voice to protest or resist: "Cameron revealed he was considering scrapping most of the 1.8bn in housing benefits paid to 380,000 under-25s, worth an average of 90 a week, forcing them to support themselves or live with their parents. He also told the Mail on Sunday he might stop the 70-a-week dole money for the unemployed who refuse to try hard to find work or produce a CV." This is no bad thing in my opinion, but what pressure does this put upon the parents of their poor offspring? It seems Cameron is more than happy to make more people suffer for the sake of the few, or force people into further suffering; those children who have left home because of abuse and lifestyle choices. Let the parents remortgage their depreciating house to support their children, what does the government care just as long as they force out the taxes in any way possible. What does Cameron care about his speeches he made after the Summer rioting? Does it matter if there are no jobs available, or a wage that can support their rent and their existence? I'm sure these people only eye the abolition of the 50p tax-rate with anger and envy, while they pay their extra 5% tax on their tin of baked beans. Big Society? Big Wealth Society: "One of the Tories' biggest donors was signed up to a tax avoidance scheme that also included comedian Jimmy Carr".

It now gives context to last year's Summer rioting doesn't it. And I suppose it's going to give cause for further rioting if this marginalised community grows into a very dissatisfied underclass.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/ju...ociety-cameron
    Last edited by eatmywords; 06-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

I'm please to see Cameron's attack on Jimmy Carr has already come back to bite him in the arse. It really highlights the double-standards of his elitist party, not that I'd expect the opposition to behave any differently.

I don't agree with the old A of C. I think Cameron did have a vision for a UK which was to give citizens more responsibility for themselves. While I agree with this idea in prinicble, it's clear Cameron is so out of touch with modern times that he has no clue how to implement such a vision. His quaint little idea for funding neighbourhood watch schemes for instance; who in their right could think this would inspire let alone effect and useful change in the UK? It seems big society is about very small and pathetic ideas.

Now, if he'd instead thought about big ideas like internet crowed-sourcing, something which the web site 'Kickstarter' has shown us could REALLY revolutionise the way society works, funds, and organises itself. If he'd found a way to tap into that huge potential, THEN maybe Big Society might have been something worth talking about. Sadly Dave's neighbourhood watch scheme just makes me cringe by comparison; it's so pathetic and out of touch it really makes we weep for the future. It's sad and telling that this government cannot think of any useful way to utilize the enormous potential of the net. The best they could muster was Nick Clegg's idea for an "Online forum" which was made live shortly after they came to power. Unfortunately the "online forum" turned out to be a rather buggy and lame version of a word-press blog - utterly pathetic. I can't even find that site now, but THAT was the best crowed-sourcing attempt they could manage. I can only say pathetic so many times, but it really is just that.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

The personal attack on Carr, seems a little harsh considering it comes from a man that is and has been all of his life surrounded by individuals doing all in their power to avoid paying tax beyond that legally required of them. To pick on Carr, was unfair in that context, so was it a plain case of pay back, had some of his so called jokes touched a nerve?
    To raise the issue in this way has, whether intended or not, highlighted the preposturous thinking behind the claim that ,"we are all in this together." Whatever else Cameron, intended, this has shown very clearly that although we face the future together, we are in no way being treated as equals. The fact that someone of Carrs ability is earning Millions surprises and upsets many, but what should upset most is the fact millions of workers on PAYE, many on the minimum wage , or near, can not claim a penny outside of the statuary allowances. They can,t even claim a bus fare, let alone the costs on their car. Once again Camerons judgement must be questioned, Does he really think that the biggest part of his own party , and in particular the elite donors, are at all pleased to be exposed in this way? Well if they are not, then he has managed to get on the wrong side of ,both the left and the right.

I would imagine the Tories will be trying to 'kill' this story as it has really blown up in their faces. Just talk to ordinary people in the street and even 'dyed in the wool' conservatives are angry about the top rate of tax reduction in the last budget. When they are seeing executive rate of pay going up by 11% and everyone else is on a pay freeze or pay cut while inflation is still at least 3%, then you don't have to be a brain surgeon to see something is badly wrong with our society and the choices made by our leaders.

Also, after commenting that they wish to come down and come down hard on tax avoiders, you do have to wonder why they are handing out P45s to HMRC staff. If ever there was a time to get the avoided and evaded tax in, surely it is now.

Coming out with a statement saying "We don't comment on the tax affairs of individuals" just hours after the Prime Minister made such an attack on Jimmy Carr is so hypricitical it beggars belief. For the sake of transparency, and people waking up and smelling the coffee, I for one, hope this one runs and runs.

Mr Muck
    Mr Muck

In the months since they lost Coulson, the Tories have staggered from one balls up to another. If this is what Cameron invisaged as transparency, then its one of the few things he is getting right, as we can see right through him.

Banned

It is interesting that the left are blaming the Tories here for things that were going on for a long time before 2010. It is fair to say that David Cameron doesn't approve of anyone using tax loopholes to avoid paying tax. Why didn't Labour close these loopholes down?

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    It is interesting that the left are blaming the Tories here for things that were going on for a long time before 2010. It is fair to say that David Cameron doesn't approve of anyone using tax loopholes to avoid paying tax. Why didn't Labour close these loopholes down?
    It's like people who have GPS that can indicate when a speed-camera is coming. It doesn't make you any less of a dangerous, and therefore criminal, driver, it just permits you to avoid the penalty you should receive if you did not have that device.

Wow, is this really how the Tory is going to justfiy this shambles of a government to themselves? It's was all Labour's fault. It was all Labour's fault. It was all Labour's fault.
    Last edited by eatmywords; 06-26-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    It's was all Labour's fault. It was all Labour's fault. It was all Labour's fault.
    You are darned right it is!

It is funny how Labour are saying we shouldn't be blaming them, yet whilst in office they continuously blamed all and sundry on the previous Tory government, even after they had been in power for 13 years. Hypocrisy comes served along with the Chardonnay and humous dips in Islington!

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    You are darned right it is!

It is funny how Labour are saying we shouldn't be blaming them, yet whilst in office they continuously blamed all and sundry on the previous Tory government, even after they had been in power for 13 years. Hypocrisy comes served along with the Chardonnay and humous dips in Islington!
    Of course they all blame someone else at one time or another, but , Jimmy Carr. Did he fail to put something in the box? I wonder.