Thread: Twitter user fined for tweeting joke airport bomb threat

Default Twitter user fined for tweeting joke airport bomb threat

Paul Chambers, a trainee accountant who made a joke bomb threat on Twitter after his local airport was closed, was found guilty of sending a menacing electronic message. Chambers, who lost his job after his arrest and prosecution, has been ordered to pay 1000.

Am I the only person who is concerned about this?

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Clearly what he said was pretty stupid, but it should have been obvious from the context that he wasn't serious. The airport claim they have to take all threats seriously. But this wasn't a threat, it was an inocuous comment made by a man clearly frustrated at having thrown hundreds of pounds down the toilet. How many times have any of us said something like, "I'm going to kill Dave when I see him". Does that mean we'd actually kill someone, of course not!

Some sad little fucking beurocrat has not only cost this man 1000, but he's probably ruined his future career for a 'Thought Crime'! I am very worried. I think this deserves to be in the police state section in fact.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

If the "Dave" in question was our new PM and security was jittery because of earlier attempts I reckon the threat deaserves to be checked out - especially it you say it to people who don't know you.

In this case the perpetrator must know people responsible for public safety are jumpy. To post a bomb threat was mad - worse than putting in hoax 999 calls. A fine is lenient. A bit of custody might make him and others think again.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    If the "Dave" in question was our new PM and security was jittery because of earlier attempts I reckon the threat deaserves to be checked out - especially it you say it to people who don't know you.
    Oh come on it's sheer stupidiy. His comments were made in frustration to the airport closing because of snow! If he's said he was going to blow it up because it's God's will, then there'd be cause for alarm. This is just plain stupidity.

In this case the perpetrator must know people responsible for public safety are jumpy.
    Obviously not. Do you think he wanted to pay a 1000 fine and lose his career?

To post a bomb threat was mad - worse than putting in hoax 999 calls. A fine is lenient. A bit of custody might make him and others think again.
    It wasn't just a fine, he was fired from his job and his whole future career has been screwed up, you call that lenient?
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.