Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lower the voting age?

Regarding casper's point the leader of the Green party is simply old labour with a green tinge.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishouldberunningthecountr View Post
    Well in my view 18 is fine, politic should not be taught in school.
    Isn't it unfair to expect 16 and 17 year olds to pay tax and yet have no say in how it's spent though?

Even at university teaching of economics is biased according to how far left or right that particular professor is and most of them when I was at university seemed to be very far left.
    That's what a set curiculem is for. Surely it's better that children are taught about politics and how it effects their lives, rather than learning about it through heavily biased tabloids? It's most definitely better than them voting but not having a clue WHY they are voting.

Schools should teach Maths, English and the Sciences that's Biology, Chemistry and Physis -I always thought this one subject science was a big mistake and dumbing down of our sadly all ready crap education system.

FRench language -pointless Geramn language-pointless, Mandarine CHinese -perhaps.

Business studies-at a level yes -gcse -no

Drama therapy -NO
    BAsket weaving -NO
    prancing around liek a twat -no
    Agreed.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Firstly sorry about any typos -been struggling with screens recently -need an eye test I think.

ven at university teaching of economics is biased according to how far left or right that particular professor is and most of them when I was at university seemed to be very far left.
    "That's what a set curiculem is for. Surely it's better that children are taught about politics and how it effects their lives, rather than learning about it through heavily biased tabloids? It's most definitely better than them voting but not having a clue WHY they are voting."

Not sure I entirely follow yuor point here when I was at university they had a set curriculum as such, it did not stop lecturers putting their own spin on things-nor did it at university. As for 16/17 and tax well the amount they are probably most likely to be earning at that age many will be under their allowance anyway. PLus in my view that allowance should raised significantly.

Forgive me I did bait you slightly - "Surely it's better that children are taught about politics and how it effects their lives, rather than learning about it through heavily biased tabloids?" - what better way to teach children about what politics actually is... DO we really want to teach kids politics ... I'm not sure we do to be honest.

Firstly sorry about any typos -been struggling with screens recently -need an eye test I think.

ven at university teaching of economics is biased according to how far left or right that particular professor is and most of them when I was at university seemed to be very far left.
    "That's what a set curiculem is for. Surely it's better that children are taught about politics and how it effects their lives, rather than learning about it through heavily biased tabloids? It's most definitely better than them voting but not having a clue WHY they are voting."

Not sure I entirely follow yuor point here when I was at university they had a set curriculum as such, it did not stop lecturers putting their own spin on things-nor did it at university. As for 16/17 and tax well the amount they are probably most likely to be earning at that age many will be under their allowance anyway. PLus in my view that allowance should raised significantly.

Forgive me I did bait you slightly - "Surely it's better that children are taught about politics and how it effects their lives, rather than learning about it through heavily biased tabloids?" - what better way to teach children about what politics actually is... DO we really want to teach kids politics ... I'm not sure we do to be honest.
    We don't want informed voters but ignorant ones? I'm not sure I see the benefit.

University lecturers being biased is pretty much beside the point, I don't see how people are going to learn about politics without some bias coming into it, regardless of how they learn about it. At least it can be controlled better through education.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

"niversity lecturers being biased is pretty much beside the point, I don't see how people are going to learn about politics without some bias coming into it, regardless of how they learn about it. At least it can be controlled better through education."

Not sure it is in my view.

"We don't want informed voters but ignorant ones? I'm not sure I see the benefit." I'm not sure that's what I'm saying.

POlitic is largley about bias and dirty dealings and doginess and often blatant dishonesty. I think one becomes informed voters through being aware of current affairs and seeing what politicians are saying.

I'm afraid the education system at school level is full of teachers putting their own biased spin on things and I could give you examples from my own school days many many many moons ago.

Politics is generally all opinion and biased towards one group of people or another -why teach that what's the benefit?

"At least it can be controlled better through education." I think this is the point where we disgaree- how so? B

y politics what do you actually refer to -are you talking about processes or teaching about what different leeders have or haven't done and why that was correct or wrong strategy for the circumstances of the day? Or the pros and cons of different systems as that's pure opinion...

Hi to all.
    Straight off I would say yes without hesitation as if someone is old enough to pay taxes and join the army.
    I also think that they should be allowed to have a drink.
    I do know a good few 15 and 16 yo's albeit politically who are very aware and clued up.

That said last year just before the election I talked with a young shop assistant and when I asked her who she was going to vote for she said the tories.
    Another shocker was when I was talking with a young woman who was about 19 or so in the big chained supermarket the orange one I asked her about her union.
    She told me that she had got taught some politics at her school but did not know what a union was.

Quote Originally Posted by revogirl View Post
    Hi to all.
    Straight off I would say yes without hesitation as if someone is old enough to pay taxes and join the army.
    I also think that they should be allowed to have a drink.
    I do know a good few 15 and 16 yo's albeit politically who are very aware and clued up.

That said last year just before the election I talked with a young shop assistant and when I asked her who she was going to vote for she said the tories.
    Another shocker was when I was talking with a young woman who was about 19 or so in the big chained supermarket the orange one I asked her about her union.
    She told me that she had got taught some politics at her school but did not know what a union was.
    This is why I think politics should be required education. It's so vital that people understand what factors are governing their lives.
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

"niversity lecturers being biased is pretty much beside the point, I don't see how people are going to learn about politics without some bias coming into it, regardless of how they learn about it. At least it can be controlled better through education."

Not sure it is in my view.

"We don't want informed voters but ignorant ones? I'm not sure I see the benefit." I'm not sure that's what I'm saying.
    Well surely without education, you are ignorant?

POlitic is largley about bias and dirty dealings and doginess and often blatant dishonesty. I think one becomes informed voters through being aware of current affairs and seeing what politicians are saying.
    I don't really think just hoping people will take an interest in politics is going to be particularly effective. They're unlikely to take any kind of interest unless they understand politics.

I'm afraid the education system at school level is full of teachers putting their own biased spin on things and I could give you examples from my own school days many many many moons ago.
    This isn't many moons ago though, and I've only got your word to take for it. My experience of teachers these days is that they generally regurgitate what the curriculem tells them too. In fact the requirements for being a teacher are so low in the UK it's unlikely you'll find a teacher that is even interested in politics, let alone preaching their political values.

Politics is generally all opinion and biased towards one group of people or another -why teach that what's the benefit?
    So people know how to read between the lines and spot bias, and therefore make an informed decision.

"At least it can be controlled better through education." I think this is the point where we disgaree- how so?
    At the moment most people get their news from extremely biased sources such as the tabloids and the internet. There is no control over that at all. With education there can be stabdards set, and guidelines to adhear to.

By politics what do you actually refer to -are you talking about processes or teaching about what different leeders have or haven't done and why that was correct or wrong strategy for the circumstances of the day? Or the pros and cons of different systems as that's pure opinion...
    I'd have them learn the history of politics, talk about how different political parties have formed, and through that how they have developed their agendas. You could make numerous comparisons to the politics of old and new, and analyise what how various parties have morphed over the years. The pros and cons do not have to be based on opinion at all, history tells us what political parties have done right and wrong.
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Nah don't agree at all I'm a fraid my experience of teachers is shocking both in state and private schools and I don't trust them to keep their own biased views out of teaching if they did teach politics.

This bias thing is always there whether you like it or not, regardless of what it is that is being taught, Ishould. Do you really want us to believe, that you would not be bias in some way, if you were teaching. The real issue is, do they want to vote? And we would,nt know the answer to that unless they were allowed to do so. If they are like the rest of us, then, only a little over 50% would want to. The present system makes sense, If only because at eighteen you deserve the chance, it does not mean you are ready, many of us are not ready at thirtyeight, or beyond, but thats the real beauty of it, we have the chance.