Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat tax!

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Arrow Fat tax!

This isn't the first thread I've started on the subject. But I couldn't help noticing the Daily Mail going on about obesity still rising in the UK, in fact it claims British Children are getting fatter quicker than American kids.

Isn't it time we gave serious consideration to a fat tax on food? We tax heavily every other dangerous substance that is legal, apart from fat! And fat is probably costing us the most money on the NHS!

Not only would this help promote healthier eating, it would bring in some badly needed funding for the NHS.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Well now what foods are we talking about ? Because as a fatty who is a vegetarian and never eats fast foods I am curious what it is assumed fat people eat ?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    Well now what foods are we talking about ? Because as a fatty who is a vegetarian and never eats fast foods I am curious what it is assumed fat people eat ?
    Anything with high sugar or fat content. We all know what healthy food is, if people are going to damage themselves with poor diets, then they should pay for the required medical care.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Well I am quite happy to do so if I am given back my contributions to the NHS - you can't take the money both ways ! And at 48 the only illnesses I have are not at all related to diet or weight so are we saying even MS is not treated ? Or just picking those things that can absolutely be proved to be weight related ?
    And what about those who have metabolic diseases do we stop treating them ? After all it is the disease that actually makes them fat ....
    How about disabled people who put on weight because they can no longer exercise ? Take their food away or let them enjoy themselves in the only way they may be able to do ?

Well I am quite happy to do so if I am given back my contributions to the NHS - you can't take the money both ways ! And at 48 the only illnesses I have are not at all related to diet or weight so are we saying even MS is not treated ? Or just picking those things that can absolutely be proved to be weight related ?
    And what about those who have metabolic diseases do we stop treating them ? After all it is the disease that actually makes them fat ....
    How about disabled people who put on weight because they can no longer exercise ? Take their food away or let them enjoy themselves in the only way they may be able to do ?
    Where have I said stop treating anyone? You appear to reading something else entirely then replying to it. I've said tax foods that seriously damaage people's health, so that when they do end up in the NHS due to their poor diet, we can afford to pay for it. Perhaps you think there isn't a connection between unhealthy eating and shorter life spans?
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

I think it would follow quite quickly from taxing to stopping the treatment on the NHS thb.
    I think there are no bad foods BTW if they were so bad everyone who ate them would be fat. I get fat on healthy foods I simply eat too much of them and I am not alone.
    I think there may be a link but being too thin can be just as bad and a shorter life span is not necessarily all that bad anyway. Personally I would rather have 60 really good happy years eating what I want than 75 miserable years eating what I am told I am allowed to eat.
    I come from a family who have high blood pressure all of us thin as sticks or over weight all have it, many of us have had breast cancer, again thin or fat it gets us all, I survived because I am fat and they could give me higher doses of chemo with less effect on my general health some of the thinner members were killed more by the chemo than the disease.
    Any of us could get run over by a bus tomorrow we face risks daily and quite honestly it is my place to chose my risks no one else's unless you are also going to tax/ban/refuse to treat anyone injured by sport and other risky things in which case at least it would feel a bit more fair.

I think it would follow quite quickly from taxing to stopping the treatment on the NHS thb.
    I think there are no bad foods BTW if they were so bad everyone who ate them would be fat. I get fat on healthy foods I simply eat too much of them and I am not alone.
    I think there may be a link but being too thin can be just as bad and a shorter life span is not necessarily all that bad anyway. Personally I would rather have 60 really good happy years eating what I want than 75 miserable years eating what I am told I am allowed to eat.
    I come from a family who have high blood pressure all of us thin as sticks or over weight all have it, many of us have had breast cancer, again thin or fat it gets us all, I survived because I am fat and they could give me higher doses of chemo with less effect on my general health some of the thinner members were killed more by the chemo than the disease.
    Any of us could get run over by a bus tomorrow we face risks daily and quite honestly it is my place to chose my risks no one else's unless you are also going to tax/ban/refuse to treat anyone injured by sport and other risky things in which case at least it would feel a bit more fair.
    Nothing wrong with you choosing your own risks, again, I don't think I've declared otherwise. I just don't see why everyone should be expected to pay for the consequential NHS treatment of those who live a life of indulgence. I take you'd be happy then, to remove all the extra tax added on to tabacco and alcohol, and we'll find some other way to pay for the consequencial NHS treatment? Perhaps we could take some more out of education?
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

I think education could be slimmed down but that is another subject altogether.

We already pay enough tax in this country IMO and should be looking at better ways to spend it rather than raising even more. NHS is a bottomless pit if you really think about it, but I have a lot of sympathy for smokers, alcoholics, over eaters etc as until recently in history they were not vilified in the way they are now, not that many years ago really when my Grandmother was told to smoke by her doctor for her nerves, not that long ago at all.

We can't even prove eating certain foods is actually the cause of anything as far as I can see either as some people can wolf down truck loads of "bad" foods with no harm done and others just have to sniff the packet to put on a pound. Also why do we not stop people who chose high risk pass times from costing the NHS money ? Sat in waiting room last weekend watching 11 men who had been playing a sport all being seen ASAP - do we suggest they be taxed extra ?

I think education could be slimmed down but that is another subject altogether.

We already pay enough tax in this country IMO and should be looking at better ways to spend it rather than raising even more.
    So how would you tackle the alarming growth in obesity?

NHS is a bottomless pit if you really think about it, but I have a lot of sympathy for smokers, alcoholics, over eaters etc as until recently in history they were not vilified in the way they are now, not that many years ago really when my Grandmother was told to smoke by her doctor for her nerves, not that long ago at all.
    Doctors used to drill holes in people's heads to let out the demons plaquing insane people too, doesn't really mean they were right does it? Having sympathy for smokers and alcoholics is all well and good, but it costs money to treat. How are you going to pay for their ill health by taking away the tax money that helps pay for it?

We can't even prove eating certain foods is actually the cause of anything as far as I can see either as some people can wolf down truck loads of "bad" foods with no harm done and others just have to sniff the packet to put on a pound.
    Actually we can prove it:
    1. Type 2 diabetes
    2. Heart disease
    3. Increased risk of cancer, including endometrial, colon, gall bladder, prostate, kidney, and postmenopausal breast cancer.
    4. High blood pressure is twice as common in adults who are obese.

24% of taxpayers were classified as obese in 2006, that's a 15% increase from 1993.

http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/public...2020112008.pdf

The reality is that the more poor food you eat, and the less exercise you do, the more at risk you are of being obese. 1.6 MILLION percriptions were given out in 2006 to tackle obesity, subsidied and often paid for by the tax payer. Estimates for the cost to the NHS range between 2-8 BILLION POUNDS a year.

There is absolutely no doubt that a poor diet leads to poor health, and huge medical costs. All the facts support this, regardless of conjecture.

Also why do we not stop people who chose high risk pass times from costing the NHS money ? Sat in waiting room last weekend watching 11 men who had been playing a sport all being seen ASAP - do we suggest they be taxed extra ?
    Any costs there will be offset by the fact that they are living healthy lives doing sports, and won't be one of the 24% of the country who is costing us money because of unhealthy lifestyles. I doubt the cost is anywhere near as much. Sport is also a profession, and vital to keep people fit enough to do their jobs effectively, the externalities are all positive. I'm afraid being obese is neither a profession or has any positive external effects, but it does have plenty of negative ones.

The worst part about the whole thing, is the trend towards higher levels of obesity is STILL rising. How do you think we should pay for this?
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Thumbs down Fat Tax

The Government will consider introducing a "fat tax" to tackle Britain's growing levels of obesity, David Cameron has said. The Prime Minister said drastic action was needed to prevent health costs soaring and life expectancy falling.

Well I'm not fat. How is it fair that the Government might force me to pay a tax on unhealthy food?

Edit - Can a Moderator please merge this thread with the other tax thread please? Sorry I started this thread when there was one already available.
    Last edited by Casper; 07-01-2012 at 09:02 AM.