Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat tax!

I agree totally. Why should I pay more for certain foods because fatties can't control themselves?

I enjoy a pizza on a Saturday evening, cheese, and whatever I fancy from time to time. I still manage to control my weight through a sensible diet and exercise. If I have to pay more because people can't stop stuffing their fat faces where will it stop? Is my wine going to cost more because of alcoholics?

Ridiculous nanny state mentality.

Get a grip fatties and do some exercise!

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

I think Fat tax is a good idea, indeed it's one I've promoted before. We have to pay for the huge costs that fat people are costing the NHS and the economy in general.

It's the only way other than:

• Raising NI to cover it.
    • Denying fat people treatment for fat related diseases.
    • Going down the private health care system.
    • Getting fat people to lose weight.
    • Create a 'Fat' tax bracket. If you are obese you pay more tax.

There's probably a few other options too, but these are the ones off the top of my head. Non of them are likely to be popular or even realistic.

Tax the fatties! Alcohol doesn't need any more tax, we already tax the hell out of it.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

• Double VAT on all ready-to-eat and highly-processed foods (except bun, jam donuts and rum cake)
    • Double tax on outsize clothes
    • Double fares for all salad haters
    • Tax tobacco to extinction (and euthenase remaining smokers quicker that they're doing it to themselves)
    • Double prescription and treatment charges for anyone being treated for a self-induced disease
    • Zero prescription and treatment charges for exercise induced injuries (unless they're cyclists)
    • Double tax on supermarket alcohol
    • Reduce duty on alcohol consumed on licensed premises
    Last edited by Patman Post; 10-16-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: bollock smokers

I don't think taxing these glutinous gastropods would do any good, they would probably just turn to crime to subsidise their eating habits.

What is the mean weight the government is going to level the entire population by? 18st? 24st? 32st? I imagine the average weight of the back row of the Labour benches is 18st.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

I read the thread below this one as "Quantitative Eating"...

Might the remedy be similar: i.e., issuing vast quantities of substitute food to the muffin top and wobble bottom brigades in the hope they'll all finally explode thereby ultimately lessening demand on both food and medical treatment?
    Last edited by Patman Post; 10-20-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: add remedy

There's a similar quantitative eating episode in Theatre of Blood where Vincent Price force feeds Robert Morley's dogs to him until his heart explodes.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I think Fat tax is a good idea, indeed it's one I've promoted before. We have to pay for the huge costs that fat people are costing the NHS and the economy in general.
    Fat people are less of a burden on the NHS than healthy people who live longer and end up needing 24 hour care.

A tax on fatty food could actually increase the burden on the health system and unfairly penalise the poor. The government's anti-obesity policies are therefore not only unfair but potentially costly.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

That article is a load of bullshit in my humble opinion. It does't take into account the fact that a highly significant amount of fat people are less likely to have a job. So less taxes.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pls/porta...cs/1/39668.PDF

It also makes a highly ridiculous comparison with smoking tax, and fails to acknowledge the fact that the main problem with high tax on tobacco is the black market - also, surely higher tar is a good thing as it kills people more quickly thus lightening the burden on the taxpayer, right? I can't see a chocolate black market developing as it is equally expensive in all countries due to a growing world shortage. The tobacco tax is ludicrous, and no one is suggesting fatty foods be taxed to that extreme.

There's also the socio-economic factors to consider. Fat people are less likely to study higher education, thus contributing less to society.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=128804121

I also don't buy the bullshit that it will impact the poorest the hardest. It's putting th cart before the horse, as it's clear more fat people are poor because they can't get a job! Also, I'm sick of the way society now considers many luxury items such as chocolate, TV's, pets, etc., to be a right rather than a luxury.

There's also the impact poor diet has on people's mental health and ability to concentrate. A point championed by Jamie Oliver and his healthy food for schools campaign. There's also a ton of information on just had badly a poor diet can effect your mental health.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...w=1280&bih=933

You can't contribute to the economy when you're dead, unemployed, or lead a very inactive life-style. I can't even believe I'm having to defend a healthy life-style and the benefits of not being obese.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Banned

I think anyone calling for a "fat tax" is both cruel and insensitive, and needs to re-assess their own priorities in life. Being overweight is not just a self-inflicted condition. It can also arise as a side-effect of another medical condition, or as a result of medication taken for another medical condition. Even for those people who whom weight problems are simply a result of "eating too much", I would still regard this as a medical condition, in much the same way Anorexia is a psychological eating disorder. I am not weak-minded. I do not smoke and rarely drink. I get as much exercise as my body will take. It is just that I have to eat large amounts of food (and usually the wrong sorts of food) to stop myself feeling incredibly hungry.

I am now 40 and I have battled with weight problems since my early 20's. Nobody in their right mind wants to be overweight. It has caused a great deal of inconvenience in my life and has shut a lot of doors for me both personally and professionally. Anyone who is overweight will tell you how hard it is to lose weight. I would say it is 20 times harder to lose a stone than it is to put a stone on. About 7 years ago, I managed to drop from 21 stone to 14 stone over a period of 12 months. I was following the WeightWatchers diet and I can tell you that I felt like I was starving to death every single day. Unfortunately I then contracted an unrelated illness, and I stopped going to gym for six weeks. In six weeks, I had put 3 stone back on. You can't imagine how demoralising it is when all your hard work is ruined. Within a year or so I was back to my old weight.

I tell you what. If they started making overweight people pay more tax I am just going to walk out of my job and live off benefits. I work hard for this country, and I am already taxed to breaking point.
    Last edited by Northumbrian; 07-01-2012 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    I tell you what. If they started making overweight people pay more tax I am just going to walk out of my job and live off benefits. I work hard for this country, and I am already taxed to breaking point.
    I totally agree with your sentiments. The nanny state should stop targeting obese people in order to steal more money from them under the dishonest pretext of combating poor health. It's a pointless assault on their individual liberty and freedom.

That article is a load of bullshit in my humble opinion. It does't take into account the fact that a highly significant amount of fat people are less likely to have a job. So less taxes.

There's also the socio-economic factors to consider. Fat people are less likely to study higher education, thus contributing less to society.
    It's not necessarily their obesity that is the cause of a less successful career. Fat people are no more of a burden on society than many other types of people who occasionally engage in an unhealthy lifestyle. Table 1 shows five influential British cost-of-vice studies. Costs which are partially or wholly borne by the taxpayer are shown in bold. Of the 25 billion that obesity is said to cost the UK, only 1.15 billion is related to public services. The rest is made up of private costs borne by the obese themselves.

I also don't buy the bullshit that it will impact the poorest the hardest. It's putting th cart before the horse, as it's clear more fat people are poor because they can't get a job! Also, I'm sick of the way society now considers many luxury items such as chocolate, TV's, pets, etc., to be a right rather than a luxury.
    One need only look at a map to see that the hotspots of obesity are in the most economically deprived towns and regions. A Fat tax would exacerbate this poverty and entrench inequality. Besides, childhood obesity rates are actually levelling off, yet somehow there has been a ratcheting-up of taxpayer-funded propaganda and programmes to incentivise families into “moving more” while eating less “bad” food. The anti obesity policy ignores the basic facts that there are no good or bad foods, only good and bad diets.