Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fat tax!

I was about 13/14 when I started smoking. Last year I quit. 7 years of smoking isn't as much as some people but it's safe to say I was fairly addicted. I was quite shocked to actualy find how easy it was to quit, especially when so many people make a big fuss about it all. I also smoked a hell alot of weed back then which is why I didn't do to well a school. I found that also easy to cut back on (still have the occasional joint). Unfortunately a friend who I used to do alot of weed with, didn't quit and now has schizophrenia. I have no sympathy for them what so ever. I done my best to get them to quit but they refused without even trying.

Fat people are in the same category. Unless there is a diagnosed health problem or a certain type of medication making someone fat, their is no excuse. Take responsibility over your own body and your weaknesses. I would be in favor of alcoholics, smokers, and obese people getting taxed more, for the extra cost they cause our country but it would affect healthy people which is completely unfair.
    I think it should be the parents duty to have healthy children. It sickens me to see fat parents with there fat children. It's the parents that should pay. They should get prosecuted for gross negligence.
    Last edited by Andeeg1; 07-02-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    R.I.P freedom of speech

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andeeg1 View Post
    I would be in favor of alcoholics, smokers, and obese people getting taxed more, for the extra cost they cause our country but it would affect healthy people which is completely unfair.
    What about illegal drug users like yourself? Surely you are costly the country far more than any fat person - not necessary for health problems, but for the fact that every time you buy the cannibis for your "occasional joint" you are supporting a criminal infrastructure which runs all the way from drug dealers and smugglers to organised crime bosses. Any police officer will tell you that drugs are the major cause of crime in this country.

I think if you had to struggle with weight issues you would be far more sympathetic and far less judgemental. Eating food (unlike taking drugs) is a perfectly natural and necessary part of your daily routine. You eat because you are hungry, and it only takes a small imbalance between what your hunger says you need to eat, and what you actually need to eat for weight problems to occur. I do also believe it has a lot to do with individuals and their metabolism. Some people just put on weight far more easily than others. Once the weight is on, it is really difficult to shift, and I mean really difficult. Have you never wondered why the diet industry is so lucrative?

I guess when I was your age and was a healthy weight for my height, I probably had the same prejudices as you have. You need to live a bit. For the record, I have always worked since leaving University and have paid a hell of a lot of tax to this country. Other than the occasional bout of flu, I have never been a serious burden to the NHS.

I understand that the drug trade can be costly to Britain although the cannabis drug infrastructure is alot less sinister than what you make it out to be. It's normally just a guy growing weed in a cuboard.

There is a fat pandemic happening at the minute. Do you actualy disagree that the government should step in and do what they do best, nanny us? I understand that you have been working your whole life and contributed to this country but that doesn't justify why your overweight. I do slightly sympathise with people that have tried to loose wait and have actualy accepted that its a problem. But what about all the fat children that grow up without much hope of a healthy lifestyle simply because they have lazy parents? Parents are not doing their basic job of raising a healthy child. They are letting down the child, the country and themselves.

Have you never wondered why the diet industry is so lucrative?
    yes, it's similar to the quiting smoking industry which is nothing more than tobacco company's manipulating the addicts with ridiculous ideas/ products on how to stop smoking. As I said in my previous post I found it easy to quit. I think the majority of people just don't really care enough about health to do something about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the tobacco company's are actualy benifiting from the general public view that smoking is hard to quit due to the placebo effect.

My advice to people is stop whining and get it done.
    R.I.P freedom of speech

Banned

I understand that the drug trade can be costly to Britain although the cannabis drug infrastructure is alot less sinister than what you make it out to be. It's normally just a guy growing weed in a cuboard.
    I hate to dispel the myth, but the guy growing weed in his cupboard to sell to his neighbours and friends is a quaint notion, but sadly a rare occurence. Cannibis farms are often sophisticated operations with entire houses converted into greenhouses with UV lamps, etc. The people controlling the production and distribution of cannabis are likely the same criminal gangs who are involved in dealing ecstacy, cocaine and other drugs, and will often have involvement in other organised crime such as loan-sharking, prostitution, people-trafficking, etc. The person you buy your weed from is hardly going to tell you where he gets it from, but you are likely supporting some very unpleasant people.

There is a fat pandemic happening at the minute. Do you actualy disagree that the government should step in and do what they do best, nanny us?
    I never accept hysterical headlines like "fat pandemic". The number of overweight people has increased slowly over the years, but then so has life expectancy, so we can't be doing too bad. The last thing we need is to be "nannied" by the government. There is no reason why the government can't provide information, but it is up to individuals to decide how they live their lives.

I understand that you have been working your whole life and contributed to this country but that doesn't justify why your overweight.
    Perhaps not, but it certainly justifies why I shouldn't have to pay more tax. Overweight people have enough disadvantages in life without having to shell out more money. Should we tax Anorexic people as well? Presumably you blame them as well as it is their own fault that they are not eating enough!

I do slightly sympathise with people that have tried to loose wait and have actualy accepted that its a problem.
    You'll never understand how hard it is until you are put in that position.

But what about all the fat children that grow up without much hope of a healthy lifestyle simply because they have lazy parents? Parents are not doing their basic job of raising a healthy child. They are letting down the child, the country and themselves.
    I think there are some very complex issues about why some children are overweight. A lot of families with overweight children are likely to be poor. It is not only that such families lack the money to buy fresh food, but they lack the education to know how to cook a nutritious meal even if they could afford fresh food. Sticking some chicken nuggets and oven chips in the cooker is so much easier! Taxing these families is not going to solve the problem.

The person you buy your weed from is hardly going to tell you where he gets it from, but you are likely supporting some very unpleasant people.
    iv grown three cannabis plants and I hardly own a prostitution ring.

Fresh food really isn't expensive, atleast not as expensive as you suggest it is.
    How often Have you seen at fat person in macdonalds or in a chip shop oblivious to what their doing to themselves. Claiming that they don't know enough about nutritional values of food is absurd. There is information plastered everywhere in this country on how to eat healthy. The amount of information that is available to you through the Internet or even on the telly is massive. I remember watching jamies school dinners, and the parents of the children were passing macdonalds through the fence so they didn't need to eat what Jamie Oliver was making them. Surely you still don't think the parents arnt to blame here?

I find it amusing that being poor used result in being underweight. Times have changed.

There is no reason why the government can't provide information, but it is up to individuals to decide how they live their lives.
    So do you disagree that is was right for the smoking age to go up from 16 to 18? Or to go a step further do you disagree that the government banned drugs and are currently trying to ban legal highs? There are lots of situations where you would be more than happy for the government nanny us.

Should we tax Anorexic people as well? Presumably you blame them as well as it is their own fault that they are not eating enough!
    Of course it's their fault, who's else would it be?

The number of overweight people has increased slowly over the years, but then so has life expectancy, so we can't be doing too bad
    The point is that people are getting fatter. People are living longer because of advances in medicines. Medicine should only be used as a last resort. It doesnt mean we can carry on with living a crap lifestyle. America has a huge problem with obesity. Would you want to end up like them or worse?
    Last edited by Andeeg1; 07-04-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    R.I.P freedom of speech

I was waiting for the heart-attack. But alas it never came.

Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Gove gets the kids back on fat inducing rations in the schools, whilst the treasury prepares to tax them if they ever get a job. That sounds about right for this lot.