Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian Tomlinson: Final Justice?

I'm the kind of person that does complain if things aren't right though, and you can't believe where some of my complaints have taken me

If Tomlinson was my dad, no matter how much of a deadbeat he was, I'd want justice to be served rather than live in luxury off his carcase. Unfortunately the poor cannot afford principles these days
    Last edited by eatmywords; 05-05-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

For Justice to be done the truth needs to be known why he died is still in dispute, was it the fall that caused his death? was it being hit on the leg with the baton? was he already slowly bleeding to death due to his years of heavy drinking? as the Police Officer is to stand trial these questions will be asked and hopefully answered in full

Banned

The trial of PC Simon Harwood for the manslaughter of Ian Tomlinson has begun.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18482967

Although one shouldn't pre-judge a trial that has only just begun, it would be extraordinary if Harwood was able to wrangle himself out of this. Unfortunately, I fear that is exactly what will happen. The judiciary have a long history of closing ranks behind police officers who have broken the law. This case has already been blighted by a dodgy doctor chosen to conduct the post mortem.

I hope for once justice is done and is seen to be done, for the sake of Ian and his family. I have no love for the G20 protestors, whom I regard as scum, but Ian was a completely innocent man who was just trying to find his way home. The attack on him was cowardly and brutal. The fact that Ian was a heavy drinker should not be a valid defence for Harwood at all. We all know someone who drinks too much. It is blatantly obvious looking at the video that Ian was not a G20 rioter.

Just like the trials of the Leeds United players and Colin Inglis, the judge can override the jury and stop the trial at any stage without explanation. Usually at the behest of the Home Office.

From what I've read from the article it seems to me that support from the usual quarters for a police officer are certainly moving to a very safe distance: "gratuitous act of aggression by a lone officer whose blood was up". In the face of the evidence we now know, do you really think he should be standing by his statement that his actions were "necessary, proportionate and reasonable"? This trial could have far reaching conclusions once Mr. Harwood is sentenced for manslaughter.

The Judge and Jury can only base their findings on the evidence presented. So let's hope all the facts in the Tomlinson case can be separated from the unofficial police misinformation that's usually put in the public domain whenever police behaviour comes under scrutiny.

Personally, I have great faith in the British judiciary. Although individuals may occasionally make mistakes, Judges have proved themselves to be completely independent of political pressure in their application and interpretation of the law think back over the number of times government intentions have been thwarted by judges applying the law.

Colin Inglis had defied Home Secretary Blunkett over the dismissal of a chief constable. And Blunkett has proved to be obsessive and vindictive. Unlike politicians, judges do not resort to spin and smear. Inglis was cleared by a jury on six counts and the judge decided there was no case to answer on eight.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    The Judge and Jury can only base their findings on the evidence presented. So let's hope all the facts in the Tomlinson case can be separated from the unofficial police misinformation that's usually put in the public domain whenever police behaviour comes under scrutiny.

Personally, I have great faith in the British judiciary. Although individuals may occasionally make mistakes, Judges have proved themselves to be completely independent of political pressure in their application and interpretation of the law – think back over the number of times government intentions have been thwarted by judges applying the law.

Colin Inglis had defied Home Secretary Blunkett over the dismissal of a chief constable. And Blunkett has proved to be obsessive and vindictive. Unlike politicians, judges do not resort to spin and smear. Inglis was cleared by a jury on six counts and the judge decided there was no case to answer on eight.
    I should have said "intervene" and direct the jury. Not override.

Going by the video evidence, its clear the police officer might be guilty of something, but What? Its been suggested here that the officer should have been capable of Knowing that Tomlinson, was so ill that he would not survive a heavy handed push. Surely that can,t be so, he is a police officer not a medic. It,s not that I,m seeking to condone what I and millions more have witnessed in this video, after all the violence is clear to see. But it is only a part of the story as we all well know, It only gives a partial insight into, both the state of mind of those involved and the conditions of the day, that came together at that fateful moment.

I think the suggestion is that beating Tomlinson with a police baton was unnecessarily violent on someone who was nothing more than a bit slow and confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    I think the suggestion is that beating Tomlinson with a police baton was unnecessarily violent on someone who was nothing more than a bit slow and confused...
    The suggestion is that a police officer has committed manslaughter, whilst in the course of his duty, and thats a lot harder to ascertain.