Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should prisoners have the vote?

And Mack, please tell me what prisons were designed to do, because I am truly at a loss to consider anything but the saying, out of sight out of mind.

You may well be right, eatmywords, for the public they are out of sight, and out mind, that is what the larger part of the public wants. and it is just one of a number of reasons for which prisons were designed. What they are not designed for, is to be pleasent, to the point were none of us would mind being in one.

I suspect most are still quite harsh-I don't imagine Strangeways is much fun even after all the changes post riot.

As for this vote thing are the supporters of it saying that people in Broadmoor, Rampton-or Brady in Ahsworth should be given the vote ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ishouldberunningthecountr View Post
    As for this vote thing are the supporters of it saying that people in Broadmoor, Rampton-or Brady in Ahsworth should be given the vote ?
    Yes. I don't think it matters what a criminal in prison has done. All prisoners should have the right to vote.

Banned

No prisoners should not have the vote. If you are in prison you have proved yourself to be an untrustworthy person who does not care about the wellbeing of the society you live in, therefore it is not unreasonable that you should lose this privilege. In fact, prisoners should only regain the right to vote after release once they have demonstrated that they have reformed themselves. They should be made to take a qualification in citizenship, and have a clean criminal record for a period after release depending on the length of their original sentence. Anyone convicted of electoral fraud should be banned from voting for life.

It is interesting how those on the left always propose changes to the franchise which would benefit themselves electorally, such as allowing prisoners to vote, or lowering the voting age to 16. It is not like many prisoners are going to vote Tory! Of course, some prisons are in rural or semi-rural constituencies where Labour wouldn't otherwise stand a chance. There is a name for this manipulation of our electoral system - it is called gerrymandering.

This is one issue on which Britain should really tell Europe to go to hell. It is a fundamental right of a sovereign nation to decide who is allowed to vote.

Aren't our prisoners suffering enough without having politicians knocking on their cell doors canvassing for votes?

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    No prisoners should not have the vote. If you are in prison you have proved yourself to be an untrustworthy person who does not care about the wellbeing of the society you live in, therefore it is not unreasonable that you should lose this privilege.
    That isn't necessarily the case. There are countless different reasons for an individual to end up in prison and I don't think lumping them all together is reasonable.

It is interesting how those on the left always propose changes to the franchise which would benefit themselves electorally, such as allowing prisoners to vote, or lowering the voting age to 16. It is not like many prisoners are going to vote Tory!
    The Labour party appear to be supporting the government on this. Again, there will be a range of political leans across the prison population, from the extreme right though to the extreme left and everything in between. None of that should matter either way of course. You shouldn't argue against prisoner voting just because you believe it wouldn't favour your political preferences.

Of course, some prisons are in rural or semi-rural constituencies where Labour wouldn't otherwise stand a chance. There is a name for this manipulation of our electoral system - it is called gerrymandering.
    I don't think the intention is (and I certainly wouldn't support) prisoners voting in the constituency of the prison as that would indeed create inappropriate voting blocks.

I would see some prisoners on short sentences being allowed to vote in the home constituency they're registered in (and thus would likely be returning to on their release). I certainly don’t support all prisoners getting the vote. In my mind, it's about those who will have entirely served their sentence within the likely period of that government and so would be free citizens under it's authority.

This is one issue on which Britain should really tell Europe to go to hell. It is a fundamental right of a sovereign nation to decide who is allowed to vote.
    Not according to the treaties our sovereign government(s) signed up to it seems. And you don't hear them arguing against the authority of the ECHR when it rules in their favour.

No prisoners should not have the vote. If you are in prison you have proved yourself to be an untrustworthy person who does not care about the wellbeing of the society you live in, therefore it is not unreasonable that you should lose this privilege. In fact, prisoners should only regain the right to vote after release once they have demonstrated that they have reformed themselves. They should be made to take a qualification in citizenship, and have a clean criminal record for a period after release depending on the length of their original sentence. Anyone convicted of electoral fraud should be banned from voting for life.
    This is just bureaucracy. Where does being a 'trustworthy' person have anything to do with someone's right to vote? There is no logic. It's just an unreasonable punitive attitude. There are plenty of untrustworthy people not in prison. Let's do away with everyone's differing views about what qualifications there ought to be. There should be no qualifications other than being of age (another debate) and citizen.

It is interesting how those on the left always propose changes to the franchise which would benefit themselves electorally, such as allowing prisoners to vote, or lowering the voting age to 16. It is not like many prisoners are going to vote Tory! Of course, some prisons are in rural or semi-rural constituencies where Labour wouldn't otherwise stand a chance. There is a name for this manipulation of our electoral system - it is called gerrymandering. This is one issue on which Britain should really tell Europe to go to hell. It is a fundamental right of a sovereign nation to decide who is allowed to vote.
    I prefer the Conservatives over Labour or Lib Dem but I still believe voting age should be lowered to 16 and all prisoners should have the right to vote. Please note, I'm not arguing that Europe has the right to tell the UK what to do. I'm euro-sceptic. That doesn't mean I can't agree with a Euro judge on the issue of prisoners' rights.

The prison system is turning into a joke. It is suppose to be a punishment. Why would you try to protect the rights of the very people that destroys society and hurt others while costing the country millions. As I have worked in the construction of the new high security Shotts prison, I can assure you that they are not uncomfortable in there. Why do you think UK prisons are bursting at the seams with convicts? Because criminals arn't scared of the judical system. Which is a fundamental weakness to any country. Bring back the death penalty for the dangerous idiots that cannot learn to be part of society.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeeg1 View Post
    The prison system is turning into a joke. It is suppose to be a punishment. Why would you try to protect the rights of the very people that destroys society and hurt others while costing the country millions. As I have worked in the construction of the new high security Shotts prison, I can assure you that they are not uncomfortable in there. Why do you think UK prisons are bursting at the seams with convicts? Because criminals arn't scared of the judical system. Which is a fundamental weakness to any country. Bring back the death penalty for the dangerous idiots that cannot learn to be part of society.
    I'm not protecting the rights of the very people that destroy society. I'm trying to protect everyone in society so that no matter what criminal laws are made, everyone will have a fair shot at giving their political views whether they end up in prison or not. I agree with you that prisons are not uncomfortable enough. It makes no sense that prisoners don't have the right to vote yet have access to expensive facilities including gym & sports equipment. It should be the other way around.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    It makes no sense that prisoners don't have the right to vote
    What makes you think they have a "right" to vote in the first place? Surely nobody has a right to vote, only a privilege. In my opinion, human privileges (I don't believe in human rights) are dependent on a person living up to his/her responsibilities towards society. Surely someone who has committed a serious crime and ended up in prison has not lived up to their responsibilities towards society. They haven't kept their end of the bargain. Therefore it is not unreasonable that this particular privilege is withdrawn.

If you go down the route of saying that prisoners can vote, then you may as well say that society has no right to lock criminals up in prison at all. After all, locking someone up in jail is surely depriving them of their "human right" of freedom of movement and travel?