Thread: England's Night Out

Default England's Night Out

The recent hoohaw about the England Rugby team's night out, in a nightclub in Queenstown, has drawn an awful lot of negative publicity in the British press. The players were responsible and acted appropriately, and received a glowing report from the club's manager

"the England players' behaviour was perfectly acceptable all through the evening. There is no implication from anyone there that we have heard that there has been any bad behaviour. It was guys out having a few drinks, as other teams have done in the same town during the World Cup."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugb...n/14926507.stm
    Despite which the press still hounded the team for allowing this night-out to occur. Martin Johnson was wholly supportive of his lads letting off a bit of steam prior to their 13-9 win over Argentina. Call me old fashioned, but I always like the ethos that surrounded our sport players of the past. The old image of the hard-drinking and whoring figures that are iconic of a British image that we seem to be destroying, for some idealistic image of perfection and responsibility. There is some charm about the supposed stories of George Best leaving the nightclub hours before he strapped his boots on for Manchester United, whereupon he would glide through the defence to put the ball in the back of the net. Despite which, no matter how hard he drank, or which model he had sex with, it really didn't affect his performance on the pitch or his status among the public.

On the other side however there seems to be no end of negative stories in the footballing arena of some footballer committing a heinous crime while out on the town, such as Bradley Wright-Phillips and Nathan Dyer being arrested on suspicion of burglary in a nightclub:

Staff later reported that three mobile phones, 145 in cash, student cards and cigarettes had been stolen from three handbags.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/arti...#ixzz1YLJWXk4N
    Or consider the numerous driving offences by Jermaine Defoe, Ledley King, Paul Gascoigne, Steve Claridge, Mica Richards, etc, etc, etc. Are these offences to be considered part-and-parcel of being a highly-paid and higly-pressured professional footballer? Or do they have a responsibility to act properly and responsibly twenty-four hours a day, three-hundred and sixty-five days a year?

Personally I do think there should be a line of demarcation over these guys when they are out on the town, and the press should back-off, just as long as no serious crime has been committed. But is this behaviour only promoting similar behaviour among the average citizen? And should it be promoted through the press?

Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Boozing has always gone hand in hand with British Sport, on pretty much everything. Name one British Sport that doesn't have some form of boozing linked with it? Of course you can link drinking with almost anything when it comes to British culture. Even apparently sophisticated past-times like Tennis and Art Viewings, involve a Pimms or Glass of Champagne somewhere. To me it sounds like the England Rugby team were having a bit of fun with that 'I couldn't give a F*** if we're playing tomorrow, this is a great time for a beer!' They weren't out to cause trouble or harm anyone, just having a drink.

So why they get painted with the same brush as some of the thugs we have playing football, I don't know.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post

So why they get painted with the same brush as some of the thugs we have playing football, I don't know.
    Rugby players aren't all angels.

Rugby international Max Evans' assault trial set

Blues Super Rugby player on assault charge

Guernsey rugby player guilty of Siam assault

These three were all reported in the same week in May and took only a couple of minutes to find. This is far more than footballers are in the press on assault charges.