Thread: The Church and Politics

Default The Church and Politics

Isn't it really time the Church realised they have no place in governing this country? We are now a multi faith society (forget State Religion) and the actions of councils, like Bideford, only succeed in alienating a large part of the community. I'm expecting a tirade of posts about 'what if you lived in an Islamic country'. Well, we don't. We have freedom of expression and religion. If Bideford Council wants to hold prayers before a meeting, that's fine, as long as they don't expect non Protestants to join in and they don't use their 'Christian' values to cloud their judgements.

I do know what you mean rmg3. Although the Church has been separated from State for some time now, their tentacles still remain in many areas of public and private life. But I'm wondering how much of English tradition is the act of collective worship? This is a rather silly nationalist fuelled story, because if this was about the scrapping of the reading of minutes before full council, then there would hardly be a ripple in the nationl presses. What are the council members desperate for, in that they must weekly invoke their white passive god to bring forth some blinding revelation? Probably, "Oh god, I hope I don't get caught."

It is rather shameful too that religion is starting to be constructed around the nationlistic ideals of far-right militants, desperate to rouse the country into a pathological schism. But what surprised me in Hull were last year's Ofsted results for the New Life Academy Christian School. The new school is fundamentally based in Christian teaching and moral structure. Although it is a school for 5-9 year olds, it is the only school to consistently receive "outstanding" conclusions to many parts of its faculty. It is seeking to expand to the teaching of 11-16 year olds. So when you hear that far-right voice becrying the loss of their religion to Muslamic infidels, then you can be assured it never really went away.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

I'm not anti religion, although I am Agnostic. Church aided schools are a great place for people of that particular faith to send their kids. They do tend to get great results. Whether that's because they are religious, or because they attract better teachers, is a separate debate. My beef is with certain organisations holding prayers, or similar, expecting everyone to be of the same faith. Certain youth organisations hold 'padre's' hours'. No mention of other religions. No Rabbis, no Imams. I know we are a predominantly Christian country, but even within that connotation there are Protestants, Catholics, Baptists, Methodists etc. Why should it be assumed that everyone is C of E?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rmg3 View Post
    Church aided schools are a great place for people of that particular faith to send their kids. They do tend to get great results. Whether that's because they are religious, or because they attract better teachers, is a separate debate.
    Faith schools get good results simply because the parents who send their kids to them tend to be middle class. Also they often operate a kind of back-door selection with interviews and so on (not that I am against selection - I teach in a grammar school - but at least you know where you stand with grammar schools!).

I believe all faith schools should be shut down immediately and converted into non-faith schools. Religion has no place in the education of our children and should not even be on the curriculum. Indoctrinating children with prehistoric fairy tales is a form of child abuse as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, it is hard to stop parents doing it in their own home, but there is no way the state should be sanctioning it in its schools. What about the divisiveness which religion-based schools cause? Look at the problems in Northern Ireland and Palestine? It will soon be possible in this country for a muslim to grow up without having any contact whatsoever with a native English person.

On the wider scale, religion still has far too much influence in our society. It disgust me that C of E bishops are still permitted to sit, as if by right, in our parliament (the House of Lords) and help create laws which affect all of us in this country, whether we believe in their gibberish or not.
    Last edited by Northumbrian; 02-13-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    Faith schools get good results simply because the parents who send their kids to them tend to be middle class. Also they often operate a kind of back-door selection with interviews and so on (not that I am against selection - I teach in a grammar school - but at least you know where you stand with grammar schools!).

I believe all faith schools should be shut down immediately and converted into non-faith schools. Religion has no place in the education of our children and should not even be on the curriculum. Indoctrinating children with prehistoric fairy tales is a form of child abuse as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately, it is hard to stop parents doing it in their own home, but there is no way the state should be sanctioning it in its schools. What about the divisiveness which religion-based schools cause? Look at the problems in Northern Ireland and Palestine? It will soon be possible in this country for a muslim to grow up without having any contact whatsoever with a native English person.

On the wider scale, religion still has far too much influence in our society. It disgust me that C of E bishops are still permitted to sit, as if by right, in our parliament (the House of Lords) and help create laws which affect all of us in this country, whether we believe in their gibberish or not.
    Perhaps, Religion as it is taught today corrupts our youth. But I believe that the truth about religion should be introduced and discussed in schools such as, (1) Are the Roots of All Religions based on the mythology of ancient civilisations or cultures? (2) What is Faith and what is mythology? (3) What is the historicity of the Holy Books of the different religions? (4) The role of religion in our different societies. and so on. We need a revision of our concept of religion education.