Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No News is Good News?

Default No News is Good News?

You are hard-pressed to find a decent news story since the Olympics started. But that got me thinking about the most pointless news article you have ever witnessed. I think this perhaps can be considered a total waste of your licence fee.

So what's the most pointless news story you've sighed over?
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Does anyone reckon there really isn't anything newsworthy in recent months? Under Labour there seemed to be something topical that everyone could get there teeth into, but under the Tories I just don't get the same impetus to write anything. Even on the world stage with all this Syria bullshit, it just doesn't seem to fire my desire to get people talking. Maybe it's more down Northumbrian's street to get fired up about the news, but lately I really can't be bothered with it.

Maybe I'm burnt out from the summer fracas we had?

It's the slowness of it I think . . the big issues of today are being played out over years, not months. It's difficult finding the effort to comment on yet another euro crisis or supposed solution, or on a bit of news on the economy/recession/budget, or on a Grexit, or the Iran/Israel 'war', or on Afghanistan and even on Syria . . . things are constantly occurring, but it's much of a sameness in those stories.

Even the US election has lost it's freshness for me, as I think Obama is all but a shoe-in for re-election.
    Last edited by Rook; 09-26-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Oh, and I forgot Leveson and phone-hacking, which seems to have been going on for YEARS now with no end in sight

Banned

I think we do seem to get "news fatigue" once a story has been running for months, or years, no matter how serious the story is. I don't know what the answer is to this problem. You hear a story from Syria that Assad's forces have massacred yet another village and you just shrug your shoulders. Yet half the nation over the last week has been enthralled by the story of the runaway schoolgirl and her teacher lover. You can't really blame the news providers - they are just responding to what people want to read or watch. Perhaps we all need to learn to be a little less shallow.

Mind you if you think British news is parochial, you should try watching an American news bulletin. The whole of Europe could be destroyed by a tidal wave, and it would be lucky to make the "... and finally" section at the end of the news!

P.S. The stolen fibre glass pig probably was the local news story of the year in Galashiels!!!!
    Last edited by Northumbrian; 09-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.

That is very true. I remember being very interested in the rise of oppression in Syria, but no, like you said, I can't be bothered with the alleged massacres and the influx of Muslim freedom fighters now; I really can't be bothered opening the news report to read it. This is undoubtedly a problem with me to be consistend and interested in a serious situation. And indeed, I did find myself becoming intersted in the fate of that young girl. I suppose it is the case a news-story has a shelf-life. If you consider Osama bin Laden, the mere mention of the man could generate massive interest no matter the credibility or menial nature of the news. I think this terrorism has changed our attitude to news, and we have grown a little harder to the basic nature of what news is and we are far less likely to be shocked; saddened and disappointed yes, but gripped or shocked, no.

Unfortunatley I think you touch on an important point Northumbrian with US style news reporting. Although in the US it is all graphics and music and dynamism. It is creeping into the UK news channels and it is making the stucture of news all the poorer in my opinion, just to keep it "entertaining".
    Last edited by eatmywords; 09-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Hedgehog trapped in crisp packet in Weston-super-Mare

5th most popular story on BBC news right now

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Hedgehog trapped in crisp packet in Weston-super-Mare

5th most popular story on BBC news right now
    That is un-believe-able! So you're telling me, somewhere down the chain of command the BBC has got involved in this story in a major way. However, the popularity sure reveals something quite profound, or profoundly insane, with regard the political conscious of the British public

Banned

To be fair it is a "Drop the Dead Donkey" story located in the Somerset section of the BBC News website. The BBC post hundreds (thousands?) of new articles every day and they can't control what catches the public eye. I look at the "Most Popular" articles list occasionally and it is usually something quite sensible in number 1 position - currently it is the cancelling of the NY marathon due to Hurricane Sandy. However, odd blips can and do happen!

Maybe the answer to this is to be found on the page. "Top South of Scotland stories," third story, and , "Most popular stories now," first story. And then consider that unemployment is falling, yes it doesn,t matter what you are seeing in the news it doesn,t reflect the truth. Well according to government figures it doesn,t. The page may be out of date but it does reflect very much what happens now.
    Last edited by Mack; 11-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.