Thread: Alternate Fasting Day

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Lightbulb Alternate Fasting Day

I've finally just watched a BBC Horizon doc I've been meaning to see for ages, called 'Eat, Fast, and live longer.' In short, they were trying to find a way to reduce the production of a certain growth hormone ( IGF-1) in the body, which is responsible for growth in the body and growing new cells. By stopping it, the body starts to repair damaged cells instead, and it encourages the growth of new neurons in the brain.

Calorie restrictions can do a fair amount to stop this, but they found that fasting will also drastically slow the production of IGF-1. It's now been discovered that fasting on alternate days, while eating whatever the hell you like on the rest has pretty much the same effect!

This can drastically reduce the risk all sorts of diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimers, dementia, etc. While of course reducing body fat and cholesterol massively. All of which must massively impact on your sense of well-being.

I thought this was something worth sharing as I believe that if we all adopted this regime for eating, we'd all be healthier, live longer, be less of a burden on the NHS, and we'd consume far less food then we currently do.

Thing is, how do you encourage an entire nation to adopt an idea which has the potential to have an impact that would resonate into other good things I'm sure. The obvious one that they would be a lot more food to go around.

I'm going to give this a go myself, I never used to eat that much, but these days I eat quite a bit and I don't feel half as good as I used to. 600 calories one day, eating normally the next, rinse, repeat. Anyone else want to try? We can report our results as we go. As soon as I saw this doc, I knew they were onto something. I know there's still much research to be done, it feels like the right idea somehow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549
    Last edited by Will; 12-10-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

How have you been getting on with your fasting days Will?

You are right about weight gain anedeating too much, it can make us feel sluggish and not quite as fit as we could be. I have found that by drinking water ( I use spring water) first thing in the morning before breakfast makes me feel great.
    Keep of foods high in sugars and salt.

Plenty of fasting going on under the Tories.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Yes, you have a good point there EMW. I'll have a few things to say over on the political threads.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

It's actually part of my normal routine now. I lost a lot of excess weight very quickly, and then my weight levelled off at exactly what my weight should be for my height. Some days can be hard, but generally it's really easy now. On a low calorie day I'll have home made soup and a few apples, and that it usually more than enough to keep me from feeling hungry. I highly recommend it.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    You mean all those poor people on benefits who the Tories have cruelly thrown on the scrapheap, who now can't afford to eat? Funny how they can still afford their "beer and baccy"!

Keep the red flag flying, comrade!