Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we need to teach science in school

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Listening to Wakefield on the radio last night made me realise what a dangerous nutter he's turned out to be. There he was, not only still peddling his well-disproved theory about MMR, but also extolling the virtues of diet as a cure for autism...
    Must be the same as this doctor then??

http://www.whale.to/a/thalidomide.html

Listening to Wakefield on the radio last night made me realise what a dangerous nutter he's turned out to be. There he was, not only still peddling his well-disproved theory about MMR, but also extolling the virtues of diet as a cure for autism...
    I did reply to you with a link..

A doctor called William McBride tried to warn the world against Thalidomide..

He was also disgraced and struck off..

Maybe the Mods will let you read my post..

Comparing an apple to a sixty-year-old orange which, by the way is still used, but not with pregnant women is a pointless exercise. You're talking about days when some dentists still used foot-powered drills.

Thalidomide was a pharmaceutical disaster waiting to happen. If that drug hadn't been the reason for testing and administering rules being tightened, another would have been.

McBride was struck off for another reason entirely...

Comparing an apple to a sixty-year-old orange — which, by the way is still used, but not with pregnant women — is a pointless exercise. You're talking about days when some dentists still used foot-powered drills.

Thalidomide was a pharmaceutical disaster waiting to happen. If that drug hadn't been the reason for testing and administering rules being tightened, another would have been.

McBride was struck off for another reason entirely...
    He told them that in his opinion Thalidomide was dangerous for pregnant women...

The result was children being born without limbs...

And even you cannot deny that!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    As for Andrew Wakefield..the jury is still out...I think there must be many parents asking themselves why that after an MMR jab my child became autistic..when they weren't before..
    Autism is a condition which affects the social development of a child, so not suprisingly it often goes undiagnosed in very young babies. Given that the MMR vaccine is given to all babies about 1 year old, and that this is the time when problems with social interaction may become apparent, it is hardly rocket science that some babies will (by coincidence) be diagnosed shortly after receiving their MMR jab. This does not imply any causal link, of course.

I'm afraid you have been misinformed - the jury is very much in on Wakefield. The Lancet (medical journal) withdrew his 1998 paper outlining a case study of 12 babies whose parents "believed" the MMR vaccine caused Autism. The General Medical Council struck him off the medical register and declared his work "dishonest". The British Medical Journal called his work "fraudulent". 500 million people worldwide have received the MMR vaccine and not a single peer-reviewed paper has produced evidence of a causal link with Autism, or even a hypothesis as to how the vaccine might cause Autism. Indeed, in Japan, after use of the MMR was discontinued in favour of single vaccines, the Autism rate continued to increase.

What is shocking is that Wakefield has never faced legal action for his publicity-seeking incompetance and bad science. Apparently a man has now died from Measles in South Wales. Shouldn't Wakefield be charged with culpable manslaughter or something similar?
    Last edited by Northumbrian; 05-04-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    Autism is a condition which affects the social development of a child, so not suprisingly it often goes undiagnosed in very young babies. Given that the MMR vaccine is given to all babies about 1 year old, and that this is the time when problems with social interaction may become apparent, it is hardly rocket science that some babies will (by coincidence) be diagnosed shortly after receiving their MMR jab. This does not imply any causal link, of course.

I'm afraid you have been misinformed - the jury is very much in on Wakefield. The Lancet (medical journal) withdrew his 1998 paper outlining a case study of 12 babies whose parents "believed" the MMR vaccine caused Autism. The General Medical Council struck him off the medical register and declared his work "dishonest". The British Medical Journal called his work "fraudulent". 500 million people worldwide have received the MMR vaccine and not a single peer-reviewed paper has produced evidence of a causal link with Autism, or even a hypothesis as to how the vaccine might cause Autism. Indeed, in Japan, after use of the MMR was discontinued in favour of single vaccines, the Autism rate continued to increase.

What is shocking is that Wakefield has never faced legal action for his publicity-seeking incompetance and bad science. Apparently a man has now died from Measles in South Wales. Shouldn't Wakefield be charged with culpable manslaughter or something similar?
    Would be interesting to find out what the 25 yr old man in Wales had on his death certificate...Was he in poor health?

Rubella.is a form of the herpes virus...
    Last edited by wolfie; 05-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.

He told them that in his opinion Thalidomide was dangerous for pregnant women...

The result was children being born without limbs...

And even you cannot deny that!!
    Not sure what you think I am denying. The two things I am pointing out are (1) thalidomide was developed in very different times when testing was not so rigorous and (2) McBride was not struck off for raising the alarm (nor were any of the others: he wasn't the first to warn about thalidomide). In fact he was given awards for that work. It was his subsequent flawed research and fraudulent findings on the effects of debendox which he was struck off for.

Wakefield is a totally different and thoroughly dangerous nutter...

Not sure what you think I am denying. The two things I am pointing out are (1) thalidomide was developed in very different times when testing was not so rigorous and (2) McBride was not struck off for raising the alarm (nor were any of the others: he wasn't the first to warn about thalidomide). In fact he was given awards for that work. It was his subsequent flawed research and fraudulent findings on the effects of debendox which he was struck off for.

Wakefield is a totally different and thoroughly dangerous nutter...
    I did try to give you a link concerning McBride...

Wakefield is not a dangerous nutter...He stuck by his beliefs..got struck off for them..

Watch this space..

Would be interesting to find out what the 25 yr old man in Wales had on his death certificate...Was he in poor health?

Rubella.is a form of the herpes virus...
    Cold sores are also a form of herpes.

With respect, that last remark comes across as a smear tactic on the victim. How would you react if I wondered out loud if those who cling to such patent nonsense are suffering from the type of brain disorder syphilis might bring...?

Cold sores are also a form of herpes.

With respect, that last remark comes across as a smear tactic on the victim. How would you react if I wondered out loud if those who cling to such patent nonsense are suffering from the type of brain disorder syphilis might bring...?
    Nice...

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_sect...lation_id=8287