Thread: A quiverfull of intolerance

Banned

Default A quiverfull of intolerance

With all the concern about the way in which Muslims are multiplying their numbers in the UK through the size of their families, I'm not sure I would want this lot increasing their population either:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22526252

Do any of these religious fruitcakes ever question whether "God" wanted humans to destroy the planet "He" created for them because of overpopulation?

A few thousand more europeans isn't going to destroy the planet. The extra kids they produce in a year is probably equal to what poor countries produce in a day? A week, tops. I've always liked the idea of having a large family myself (not for crazy religious reason though!) but I simply can't afford it. If these people can (without excessive government help) then good for them. I assume they suffer from a lower divorce rate than your average Joe (even an average christian Joe) so they are going to be looked after fairly traditionally. I suspect that the unrelenting scorn and ridicule of any 'theism' in this country will turn 9 out of ten of these kids into athiests by the time they reach Uni

Default When will people realise....

.... that so many of the world's problems could be solved if we took control of our population and reduced the population in size?

Let's face it we have the technology.

All I can see in the above BBC report is yet another religion wanting to boost the amount of members it has, (don't anyone tell me it hasn't happened before).

I really do think it is time for politicians around the globe to grasp the nettle and discuss and impliment some policy that will over time reduce the world's population in a peaceful way. The alternative does not bear thinking about and is the reason why we should be talking about this.

Mr Muck

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Muckspreader View Post
    .... that so many of the world's problems could be solved if we took control of our population and reduced the population in size?

Let's face it we have the technology.

All I can see in the above BBC report is yet another religion wanting to boost the amount of members it has, (don't anyone tell me it hasn't happened before).

I really do think it is time for politicians around the globe to grasp the nettle and discuss and impliment some policy that will over time reduce the world's population in a peaceful way. The alternative does not bear thinking about and is the reason why we should be talking about this.

Mr Muck
    I agree! I wouldn't favour a Chinese-style one-child policy (not yet anyway), but there are gentler ways in which the government could influence family size. Current child benefit payments (per household) are as follows:

1 child : 20.30 per week
    2 children : 33.70 per week
    3 children : 47.10 per week
    4 children : 60.50 per week
    5 children : 73.90 per week
    ... and so on (13.40 per week for each additional child, Mick Philpott was claiming over 1,000 per month at one point!)

I would make the rate for 3 children equal to the rate for 2 children (33.70 per week) and the rate for 4 children equal to the rate for 1 child (20.30 per week). 5 or more children and you get no child benefit at all.

I would obviously bring this in over a period of time, so that people who depend on this benefit are not suddenly plunged into poverty. Some people would say its only a small step, and the rich or the ultra-religious would not be deterred from having a large family. Quite possibly true, but at least it would be a step in the right direction and it might make ordinary people think about the consequences of having a large family, both financially to themselves and in terms of sustainability of the global environment. Society needs to send a message.
    Last edited by Northumbrian; 05-23-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Focusing on European populations will get you nowhere - it is already declining pretty much everywhere, including places with the kind of benefit Northumbrian talks about. The growth (and therefore the real 'danger') is coming from developing countries. But to advocate lowering the birth rate in mainly 'brown' countries hints at racism for some people, so we stick to trimming the edges and talk about what we should do in the UK, in the US, in Europe - we are much more comfortable advocating fewer white people for some reason.

There are certain things we can do to lower the birth rates in 'brown' countries though, which are more palatable because they can be disguised as 'right-on' initiatives. Encourage countries to give women full reproductive rights - studies show this lowers the number of children a woman has. Improve infant healthcare - if you know your child has a less than 50% chance of making it to age 5, you're likely to have as many children as possible in order to increase your chances of one making it to adulthood. Increase spending on education - this not only increases the likelyhood of your child getter a better paid job (meaning they can look after you in old age as well as 2 or 3 worse paid children can) but a more educated population usually leads to fewer children in the long run. Encourage secularism - less religious a country is, the less likely they are to oppose contraception and the less likely they are follow in "god's" path like these Quiverful folk.

Basically, you 'Europeanise" these places. For some, it will still smack of imperialism - "how dare these whites tell 'browns' how to live" - but they can not deny that these people will be better off in the long run with these initiatives, even if they find the idea of lowering the birth rate of 'brown' people to be unpalatable
    Last edited by Rook; 05-23-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Focusing on European populations will get you nowhere - it is already declining pretty much everywhere, including places with the kind of benefit Northumbrian talks about. The growth (and therefore the real 'danger') is coming from developing countries. But to advocate lowering the birth rate in mainly 'brown' countries hints at racism for some people, so we stick to trimming the edges and talk about what we should do in the UK, in the US, in Europe - we are much more comfortable advocating fewer white people for some reason.

There are certain things we can do to lower the birth rates in 'brown' countries though, which are more palatable because they can be disguised as 'right-on' initiatives. Encourage countries to give women full reproductive rights - studies show this lowers the number of children a woman has. Improve infant healthcare - if you know your child has a less than 50% chance of making it to age 5, you're likely to have as many children as possible in order to increase your chances of one making it to adulthood. Increase spending on education - this not only increases the likelyhood of your child getter a better paid job (meaning they can look after you in old age as well as 2 or 3 worse paid children can) but a more educated population usually leads to fewer children in the long run. Encourage secularism - less religious a country is, the less likely they are to oppose contraception and the less likely they are follow in "god's" path like these Quiverful folk.

Basically, you 'Europeanise" these places. For some, it will still smack of imperialism - "how dare these whites tell 'browns' how to live" - but they can not deny that these people will be better off in the long run with these initiatives, even if they find the idea of lowering the birth rate of 'brown' people to be unpalatable
    I don't think ''brown women'' have a choice about their reproductive ratio..

Rape is 'de riguer' in Africa..female children are married at 8..many of them die in childbirth because their adult bodies have not formed..

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I don't think ''brown women'' have a choice about their reproductive ratio..
    Many don't, which is why I'm saying we should encourage women's rights in developing countries - even going as far as linking it to aid in certain places?

Whilst reading up on Turkeys protests, I discovered this interesting fact

Erdogan calls on Turkish families to have at least 3 children

That's the kind of 'wisdom' we need to conquer if we want to get worldwide populations come under control

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Whilst reading up on Turkeys protests, I discovered this interesting fact

Erdogan calls on Turkish families to have at least 3 children

That's the kind of 'wisdom' we need to conquer if we want to get worldwide populations come under control
    God help us if we are still a part of the EU when non-European Turkey joins.

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    With all the concern about the way in which Muslims are multiplying their numbers in the UK through the size of their families, I'm not sure I would want this lot increasing their population either:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22526252

Do any of these religious fruitcakes ever question whether "God" wanted humans to destroy the planet "He" created for them because of overpopulation?
    The problem is not with Muslims but with Islam. Islam is incompatible with all other cultures of the world and should be destroyed. So long as we are in the EU we will never be able to control the Islamic population within our borders. EU laws overrule our national laws.