Thread: Litter in our society

Default Litter in our society

Is littering getting worse in your opinion?

Is it a sign of the times with some elements of our society, and if so, what can be done to combat it?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post
    No.

Yes, the problem is that too many people dont give a shit, locally and on a larger scale, the uk alone produces 100million to 500million tonnes of waste a year. Along with the population increasing, and the inefficiency of recycling it is likely to continue to grow. They are plenty of green groups around but they are quite ineffective.

what can be done to combat it?
    I believe very little. There is to much money involved in fancy packaging and people buying stuff they don't need. We are made to believe that growing sales and high profit are signs of a healthy economy/country. I believe the nature of this consumerism culture is unsustainable and if we were to cut down on what we do consume, we would very quickly plunge into recession.

The solution is to figure out how to make it profitable to consume less.
    R.I.P freedom of speech

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar View Post

Is it a sign of the times with some elements of our society, and if so, what can be done to combat it?
    The general opinion seems to be that Catholics and immigrants have the biggest litters...

Compared with years gone by, litter is more of a problem. mainly though because in the past things were not wrapped and packaged in the same extreme way that is the case now. there were fewer throw away wrappers and containers for people to drop willy nilly, as does happen far to often now. Its hard to say its getting worse with any certainty, but its not getting any better either. Regardless of the reasoning I,ve used, to partly excuse public cleanliness , any efforts to educate people to not drop litter in public, or natural areas appears to fall on deaf ears and dull minds, as you can always find litter in the most public, and most natural environments .
    Last edited by Mack; 07-26-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    The general opinion seems to be that Catholics and immigrants have the biggest litters...
    This could all be controlled with the French litter.

Anyway, I think it's a double-edged problem in society. With budget cuts there is far less street-cleaning in operation today, but then again it should be a moral responsibility to take care of one's own rubbish, and not discard it in the street. Tougher fines might be a solution, but if bins remain overflowing for weeks, if not months on end, it will be counter-productive if the elements toss the residue about the locale. Fly tipping is another problem and one that seems to be on the rise, and undoubtedly will explode if waste departments are privatised.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    I own guinea pigs..
    Wow..they can really get it on..
    Leave 5..come back from 2 weeks hols = 32!!

Litter has been a problem for years a campaign to educate people to take their litter home or put it in a bin has been running in one form or another for at least 50 years.

My local council empties my wheelie bins weekly, a grey one for household waste, a green one for garden waste, a small blue box for hard plastics and cardboard, plus a small black box for paper tins and glass jars all for recycling. For larger items such as an old broken fridge, sofa, or furniture they operate a bulking collection service, just ring and they collect.

The also have Enforcement Officers who issue fixed penalty notices to people they see throwing fag ends in the street and any other litter, even for spitting or urinating in the street, these officers also patrol the streets to instruct owners or tenants to clear away rubbish from their front gardens.

Dirty front gardens are a major problem in my area due to it being a popular buy to let area, some tenants and landlords simply dump old mattresses and old or broken furniture in the front garden and will leave their rubbish there for weeks on end, thankfully the Enforcement Officers make them clear it.

Another major problem is dog mess all over the pavements some owners do not clean up after their dogs, again in my area and neighbouring boroughs pit bull type dogs are a fashion accessory for the local riff raff gang members and drug dealers, the Council Dog Team seize many dogs which sadly end up being put down.

All of this service costs money which means higher bills for local council tax payers, I am surprised that when that remote robot landed on Mars it did not beam back pictures of old rusty shopping trollies, coke cans, and a half eaten kebabs all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    I own guinea pigs..
    Wow..they can really get it on..
    Leave 5..come back from 2 weeks hols = 32!!
    At least they're edible — apparently South Americans love them — whereas Swift was being satirical with his "Modest Proposal" for handling the litters of the poor...