Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Police Stop and Searches Lawful or unjustified

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Angler View Post
    You are not allowed to carry anything for self protection and carrying a knife or any other object without a reasonable excuse or lawful authority for self protection you are liable to be arrested for possession of an offensive weapon, we need less weapons on our streets not more.

As for stop and search Police must comply with the PACE Act and have reasonable grounds to stop and search you and justify it , I believe I am correct in saying you are not obliged to give your personal details if you have not committed an offence and they must give you a copy of their record of where you were stopped why and the Officer who stopped you details rank name shoulder number and station attached to.

I live and work in London it is not uncommon when using the tube to have to walk through metal detectors or past sniffer drug dogs its no big deal, even ticket collectors have a right to stop you and authority to demand your details if you have no valid ticket.

I have been stopped a couple of times when much younger again no big deal, I want our Police to be more proactive in this day and age, but they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't, we can't have it both ways.

Agree, all weapon-carrying should be discouraged. But it's already illegal, so how do we educate and encourage people not to? (I see in the US more states are voting to make carrying concealed guns for self-protection legal — it seems stupid not to see that fighting fire with fire simply results in more flames.)

If you think all Police stick to official procedure on their stop and search forays, I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Being stopped a couple of times when younger is probably OK. Try having it done regularly 10-20 times a year and I think even your reasonable nature would be stretched...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Angler View Post
    As for stop and search Police must comply with the PACE Act and have reasonable grounds to stop and search you and justify it , I believe I am correct in saying you are not obliged to give your personal details if you have not committed an offence and they must give you a copy of their record of where you were stopped why and the Officer who stopped you details rank name shoulder number and station attached to.
    Therein lies the problem. The police should be able to stop and search someone based purely on their gut instincts and not have to justify it. Someone can look dodgy and suspicious (especially to an experienced police officer) without actually being in the process of committing a crime. If it turns out that person is carrying a knife, gun, drugs or is an illegal immigrant, then the search is worthwhile.

I don't care if more ethnic minority people are stopped than white people. Black's and Asian's commit more crime and so should be stopped more often (there is ample evidence of this from the ethnic breakdown in the prison population, before some lefty tries to use the "racism libel" against me here). For similar reasons, young males (of any ethnicity) are more likely to be stopped than older females (of any ethnicity). I don't consider this either sexist or ageist, just common sense. I remember once seeing a "blue-rinse granny" having her shoes searched at the airport for explosives following 9/11 and thinking what a complete waste of time and resources that was, which could be used searching for actual terrorists.

Protecting the innocent victims of crime is always the first priority as far as I am concerned, and to hell with MacPherson, political correctness or race relations. Those from the ethnic minorities who complain should get their own house in order. Reduce your crime rate amongst young men to the same level as whites, then you can complain of racism if you are stopped more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Agree, all weapon-carrying should be discouraged. But it's already illegal, so how do we educate and encourage people not to? (I see in the US more states are voting to make carrying concealed guns for self-protection legal — it seems stupid not to see that fighting fire with fire simply results in more flames.)

If you think all Police stick to official procedure on their stop and search forays, I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land.

Being stopped a couple of times when younger is probably OK. Try having it done regularly 10-20 times a year and I think even your reasonable nature would be stretched...
    3 weeks ago..I came out of a hamburger joint with a cheeseburger and a coke, to take home..as I walked down the side street to get to the bus station I was accosted by a black youth with a knife..who basically held me up for my burger and coke..with a sharp pointy knife!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    3 weeks ago..I came out of a hamburger joint with a cheeseburger and a coke, to take home..as I walked down the side street to get to the bus station I was accosted by a black youth with a knife..who basically held me up for my burger and coke..with a sharp pointy knife!!
    Look on the bright side — now he'll suffer the cholesterol and carcinogenic ingredients of such a meal that you would have otherwise ingested. Take it as a lucky escape...

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Look on the bright side — now he'll suffer the cholesterol and carcinogenic ingredients of such a meal that you would have otherwise ingested. Take it as a lucky escape...
    Thanks...I think..