Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone trust the police?

Default does anyone trust the police?

Events such as Hillsborough and plebgate, and the deaths of Ian Tomlinson & Jean Charles de menezes have shown the police to be completely untrustworthy and dangerously out of control. Does anyone believe that the police can be trusted?

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

I think I'd need to see something a but more substantial than a few isolated cases before I branded all police untrustworthy.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

I wouldn't say these are necessarily isolated cases, they are just the ones the media have managed to keep the spotlight on for long enough for the real stories to come out. IIRC, in all these cases the police (deliberaely I would argue) misrepresented the facts of the case in the first few hours/days, and allowed the public to believe those victims were something other than completely and utterly innocent. When one of their own is in trouble, their first instinct is not for truth and justice, but to have their colleagues back. The truth of those cases only come out because of video evidence, and I truely believe that if we hadn't had video footage of Harwood striking Tomlinson, the police would still be telling us all that Tomlinson was a troublemaker. Harwood would still be working today.

I don't think the police are corrupt in the normal sense, I think that when they investigate crimes they generally do a good job. Even the bribery scandals recently just involved giving details over the newspapers, justice itself was not in jeopardy. But when one of their own is on the hook for something, they simply can not be trusted.

More importantly, they should not be trusted. The IPCC needs more teeth

Default Does anyone trust the Police

Do a few cases indicate that all Police are corrupt ? I do not think so the vast majority in my opinion are hard working and honest, however they are not as good as they used to be. They are after all just ordinary men and women drawn from society and reflect society, some are good, some are bad, some are lazy some are not that can be said of any profession you care to look at.

There are probably more rouge builders out there than rouge Police Officers, which stands to reason there are more builders out there than Police Officers

Did the Police Officer Harwood kill/murder Tomlinson the jury did not think so, it is not unusual for a jury to find people innocent if the evidence is not strong enough, Harwood was a bad apple and should have been sacked long before this tragic event, but unfortunately he was not.

All Tomlinson had to do was go away go home but the drink was in and the wit was out, not that it justified him being hit with a baton and pushed.

I think the vast majority of Police Officers are honest and fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Angler View Post
    Do a few cases indicate that all Police are corrupt ? I do not think so the vast majority in my opinion are hard working and honest, however they are not as good as they used to be. They are after all just ordinary men and women drawn from society and reflect society, some are good, some are bad, some are lazy some are not that can be said of any profession you care to look at.

There are probably more rouge builders out there than rouge Police Officers, which stands to reason there are more builders out there than Police Officers

Did the Police Officer Harwood kill/murder Tomlinson the jury did not think so, it is not unusual for a jury to find people innocent if the evidence is not strong enough, Harwood was a bad apple and should have been sacked long before this tragic event, but unfortunately he was not.

All Tomlinson had to do was go away go home but the drink was in and the wit was out, not that it justified him being hit with a baton and pushed.

I think the vast majority of Police Officers are honest and fair.
    Strange question..''do I trust the police?

After recently having a walk-in robbery..(I was upstairs for a minute)..to be confronted by a hoodie with a sharp pointy knife in my front room..He had my bag..phone..cash cards and cash..

I was at a disadvantage, dressed only in my bath robe, so he robbed me.

In the ensuing investigation by 2 male policemen, I made a statement, and having to correct their spelling several times with such simple words such as Tall..Pasty..Aggressively..

They were like a pair of illiterate oinks..who could hardly string a sentence together..

2 weeks later I was called to view an identity parade by video..For some strange reason they blacked out the nose and mouth of the participants even though I insisted he wasn't wearing a scarf...

I viewed 3, and the 4th one was sweating like a pig at the butchers, but it was not the guy who robbed me...The police kept going back to no. 4...and asking me if I was sure that wasn't him..

Since my assailant was blonde, 6 ft, and ill-looking, and the no 4 was black haired, swarthy skinned..I don't think so!!
    Last edited by wolfie; 08-11-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Do we trust the police?

Well not as much as we used to IMHO.

Sadly many civic institutions have recently shown themselves to be untrustworthy and sadly it starts at the top. For instance:

Politicians
    Bankers
    The press

to name but three. But they important institutions. I'm sure there would be more if I just put my thinking cap on. Politicians have still not recovered from the expenses scandal. How many bankers are sweating it out inside for fraud?
    And the press still can't seem to get that they have been caught with their pants down. So sadly until the top sorts itself out I can't see any institution getting the trust back.

Mr Muck

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Strange question..''do I trust the police?

After recently having a walk-in robbery..(I was upstairs for a minute)..to be confronted by a hoodie with a sharp pointy knife in my front room..He had my bag..phone..cash cards and cash..

I was at a disadvantage, dressed only in my bath robe, so he robbed me.

In the ensuing investigation by 2 male policemen, I made a statement, and having to correct their spelling several times with such simple words such as Tall..Pasty..Aggressively..

They were like a pair of illiterate oinks..who could hardly string a sentence together..

2 weeks later I was called to view an identity parade by video..For some strange reason they blacked out the nose and mouth of the participants even though I insisted he wasn't wearing a scarf...

I viewed 3, and the 4th one was sweating like a pig at the butchers, but it was not the guy who robbed me...The police kept going back to no. 4...and asking me if I was sure that wasn't him..

Since my assailant was blonde, 6 ft, and ill-looking, and the no 4 was black haired, swarthy skinned..I don't think so!!
    Pasty and aggressively don't seem like they should be in the same sentence together.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Pasty and aggressively don't seem like they should be in the same sentence together.
    If a pasty too many makes you look pasty it's probably is because you attacked its consumption too aggressively...

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Britain View Post
    Events such as Hillsborough and plebgate, and the deaths of Ian Tomlinson & Jean Charles de menezes have shown the police to be completely untrustworthy and dangerously out of control. Does anyone believe that the police can be trusted?
    The Met's slowly getting better under Hogan-Howe, who appears to be genuine in his attempts to improve the Police. The problem is that there is still a macho culture and a tendency to brief against critics and to collaborate to get retaliation in first when internal investigations look likely.

With a more intelligent response by local management in Tottenham after the Duggan shooting, the riots might not have kicked off...
    Last edited by Patman Post; 08-13-2013 at 11:10 AM.

I think plod has been stricken with institutionalised stupidity, and a lot of that stupidity is at the top!