Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fracking Morons

Well I still reckon this 'fracking' (bloody stupid word) is the biggest confidence trick perpetrated on an unsuspected and unquestioning public - and at its expense - since wind generators.

Also, as I understand it the method of oil exploration is accomplished by drilling straight down, whereas fracking for gas(? Oil? I'm still not sure what it is they're after!) must, after a colossal depth, then 'go horizontal'; now, out of the 360degrees that direction can take, it might take the very opposite direction to where the reserves, if any, are residing. Nope, let's stick with nuclear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    Well I still reckon this 'fracking' (bloody stupid word) is the biggest confidence trick perpetrated on an unsuspected and unquestioning public - and at its expense - since wind generators.

Also, as I understand it the method of oil exploration is accomplished by drilling straight down, whereas fracking for gas(? Oil? I'm still not sure what it is they're after!) must, after a colossal depth, then 'go horizontal'; now, out of the 360degrees that direction can take, it might take the very opposite direction to where the reserves, if any, are residing. Nope, let's stick with nuclear.
    Why is it a confidence trick? It sounds like you have been listening to Greenpeace or Labour Party propoganda and picking up their buzzwords. Time for the facts. It is nothing more than a another technique for drilling for hydrocarbons, something we have been doing for over a century. Hydraulic fracturing allows us to access reservoirs which would not be exploitable by traditional drilling. The direction of drilling is precisely controlled, so there is nothing random about it (which would be rather a waste of all those millions spent on exploration beforehand!). Modern drill bits are steerable, and the sensor package near the drill bit includes accelerometers and gyroscopes which continually feedback real-time information to the operators about the direction of motion. Thus it can be confirmed that the bit is following the route which was predetermined for it to a remarkable accuracy - we are talking centimeters here.

Wind farms are indeed a con trick, but hydrocarbons are the most reliable, cheapest and convenient concentrated source of energy known to man. Bear in mind it only requires a glass full of hydrocarbon to propel a 1 ton motor vehicle 10 miles! The Americans are already seeing lower energy prices, a reduction in imported energy, and a booming economy thanks to fracking. Only a complete idiot would seek to deny the United Kingdom the same advantages.

Yes nuclear power is fantasic, but unfortunately that option has been largely closed to us thanks to our friends at Greenpeace - in much the same way as they are trying to destroy fracking now. Our ageing nuclear plants provide only 19% of our nations electricity, and this will decline as more close in years to come. To build new nuclear power stations will take 20 years, and we haven't even started yet - the government dithering and refusing to provide any financial subsidies for fear of public opinion. Even if it does happen, we will have to pay the French to build and run these stations - bear in mind we were once the world leader in nuclear technology.

I assure you that I don't listen to Greenpeace or anyone else, N'brian - I observe, I analyse, and I conclude. I'm still sceptical despite what you say, but even if fracking is viable - and we shouldn't forget the implications of the pollution of subterranean aquifers and seismic disturbances which could lead to anything from earth tremors to subsidence ALL OVER THE COUNTRY?? - and I fervently believe that reserves, if found, will be much like the benefit of wind turbines, viz. finds will contribute about 3 percent to the national requirement. We need nuclear, but the sad reality is that we've sold out to the French who will exploit the stupid rosbifs as and when they've built up the infrastructure of new nuclear power stations (if you think energy is expensive now you ain't seen nothin' yet!) - we should have been building our own nuclear generating stations over the last 2 or 3 decades, but just like everything else in our benighted country, we fucked up by not doing so because we used the money to pay our subs to the bloody EU.

There hasn't been much about fracking on the national news lately has there?

Default It's all gone . . .

very quiet on the 'fracking front' hasn't it? Wonder why??

Well the fracking thing definitely seems to have 'gone away'? I get the impression that the only way they (the frackers) can find resources is to keep on drilling here, drilling there, and drilling everywhere until they get lucky - if they get lucky!! And all the time the government is giving them our money to do it!!!!! How fucking idiotic is that!! I'm long on record as asking the question 'What do you have to do to get rich beyond your wildest dreams?' Answer? 'Get yerself a government contract.'

'If the "few" in places like Balcombe have to suffer, then so be it I'm afraid.'

Anywhere provided it isn't in your village eh Northumbrian?

Drilling here and there seems to smack of desperation.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.