Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make Cold Callers Pay

Default Make Cold Callers Pay

Fed up with those annoying cold calls? Tired of running through that usual routine of "no thank you"? Then the answer could be setting up your own premium rate line and then charging those callers for the privilege of ringing you.

A Leeds man set up his own 0871 number which cost him 10 plus VAT and now he receives 7p from ever 10p call. The idea is to provide the premium number whenever you are required to submit a phone number online. Soon enough Mr Beaumont had made 300 from his turn-the-tables scheme.

Even if you find the cold calls begin to peter out, then that's still with that 10 to clear them out, and you should have made your money back 100 fold in that time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Fed up with those annoying cold calls? Tired of running through that usual routine of "no thank you"? Then the answer could be setting up your own premium rate line and then charging those callers for the privilege of ringing you.

A Leeds man set up his own 0871 number which cost him 10 plus VAT and now he receives 7p from ever 10p call. The idea is to provide the premium number whenever you are required to submit a phone number online. Soon enough Mr Beaumont had made 300 from his turn-the-tables scheme.

Even if you find the cold calls begin to peter out, then that's still with that 10 to clear them out, and you should have made your money back 100 fold in that time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462
    Brilliant!!..Does he have any ideas how to get rid of Jehovah's witnesses??

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    Brilliant!!..Does he have any ideas how to get rid of Jehovah's witnesses??
    But they are so much fun to try to schism their belief system. One woman blamed the London riots on a lack of belief in God. I had to question this further, and asked whether she considering there might be deeper social and economic causes for the situation. She blankly looked back, so I continued. In response to the banking system which seemed to be acting in a much more inviolate fashion, and a system of government that was more concerned about propping up a fraudulent and corrupt system than alleviating the problems of entrenched and systematic poverty. Her male friend had to intervene: "TURN NOT TO THE PATH OF SATAN!" And lo, the door was slammed shut.

But they are so much fun to try to schism their belief system. One woman blamed the London riots on a lack of belief in God. I had to question this further, and asked whether she considering there might be deeper social and economic causes for the situation. She blankly looked back, so I continued. In response to the banking system which seemed to be acting in a much more inviolate fashion, and a system of government that was more concerned about propping up a fraudulent and corrupt system than alleviating the problems of entrenched and systematic poverty. Her male friend had to intervene: "TURN NOT TO THE PATH OF SATAN!" And lo, the door was slammed shut.
    You may find them fun..I don't. We have a Citidel of them 5 mins away from my house..so the lazy beggers who can't be arsed to walk too far knock my door every 15mins on Sunday..Usually when I am serving the Sunday dinner..

I have tried wearing my Satanic robes dragging a sacrificial black goat to the door, nothing seems to work..

Help me!!

A whole citadel! Oh that would be bliss. I think Satanism would just encourage them further. We once invited some into the student house and began speaking about the concept of "god" and the infiniteness of the universe. The two chaps sat there quite silently for at least 20 minutes before rising and leaving.

They are trained to seek weakness in an individual, in whatever capacity, and your failure to close the door is take as a weakness.

A whole citadel! Oh that would be bliss. I think Satanism would just encourage them further. We once invited some into the student house and began speaking about the concept of "god" and the infiniteness of the universe. The two chaps sat there quite silently for at least 20 minutes before rising and leaving.

They are trained to seek weakness in an individual, in whatever capacity, and your failure to close the door is take as a weakness.
    I do close the door on a lot of them...I say ''Sorry I don't have time at the moment to talk to you..but if you would care to leave me your address I will call at an inopportune moment and bring you some literature on Wiccans''..

I even had one cheeky lady knock on the door with a small girl..she said ''I am so sorry to bother you but can my daughter use your toilet?''
    I let them in..little girl runs to my toilet whilst her mother starts getting all sorts of God stuff out of her bag!!

Crafty eh!!

That is rather good that one. You should ask if deception is a virtue now?

I don't know really wolfie, I just like to be entertained to the point of slamming the door on them, as they seem to think me some kind of devil with the evil twisted words I speak. I didn't knock on their bloody door.

It's like those charity workers in town. They are like vermin, eyeing you for a subscription. One chap strode over to me and shouted, in a very broad Australian accent, "Oy mate, do you know what the condition of water is like in Uganda?" I was having a very stressful week and stopped blankly to stare at him. "Just two minutes of your time and two of your money could save a whole village..." Indeed, the whole water network of Uganda did indeed sound quite hellish when uttered from this very chirpy Australian. Over-population, disease, famine, civil-war! Indeed, once my eyebrows could rise no further my hand effortlessly slipped into my pocket to rummage for the two pound and so cease the volunteer's verbal torture.

It was now the volunteer's eyebrows that rose dramatically. Whoa! Whoa man, what's that?"
    "Two pounds. Sterling."
    "I'm sorry sir..."
    It was a little late to try and curry favour with me as I was getting more and more agitated the longer I was delayed in the high-street. "It's two-pound. To build that water system. In Uganda. Will you be assisting in this construction?"
    "But were not obliged to..."
    "Obliged?"
    "... to accept money in the street."
    "Obliged?"
    "Not allowed."
    "Ah."
    "But if you have a recognised..."
    "By who?"
    "... credit card. Sorry?"
    "Recognised by who?"
    "Erm... Sorry sir, but I don't follow."
    "You want my credit card?"
    "Yeah mate. For just two pounds a month..." Whereupon he then began telling me just how much two pound a month could realistically do for the people of Uganda.
    I had to stop him, as I had willingly tolerated this rubbish for too long and I was late. "Look, I don't want my credit cards, so I feel pretty certain neither do the Ugandans." The two pound returned to my pocket and I stormed off to my destination.

It was so much simpler in the past wasn't it. There would be that little envelope or the quiet sincere looking person with the collection tin, who either was affected by this situation or had some moral calling to do something. But now it's an industry, with a lot of uncaring, manipulative and basically capitalist people who are all trying to make a name for themselves.

That is rather good that one. You should ask if deception is a virtue now?

I don't know really wolfie, I just like to be entertained to the point of slamming the door on them, as they seem to think me some kind of devil with the evil twisted words I speak. I didn't knock on their bloody door.

It's like those charity workers in town. They are like vermin, eyeing you for a subscription. One chap strode over to me and shouted, in a very broad Australian accent, "Oy mate, do you know what the condition of water is like in Uganda?" I was having a very stressful week and stopped blankly to stare at him. "Just two minutes of your time and two of your money could save a whole village..." Indeed, the whole water network of Uganda did indeed sound quite hellish when uttered from this very chirpy Australian. Over-population, disease, famine, civil-war! Indeed, once my eyebrows could rise no further my hand effortlessly slipped into my pocket to rummage for the two pound and so cease the volunteer's verbal torture.

It was now the volunteer's eyebrows that rose dramatically. Whoa! Whoa man, what's that?"
    "Two pounds. Sterling."
    "I'm sorry sir..."
    It was a little late to try and curry favour with me as I was getting more and more agitated the longer I was delayed in the high-street. "It's two-pound. To build that water system. In Uganda. Will you be assisting in this construction?"
    "But were not obliged to..."
    "Obliged?"
    "... to accept money in the street."
    "Obliged?"
    "Not allowed."
    "Ah."
    "But if you have a recognised..."
    "By who?"
    "... credit card. Sorry?"
    "Recognised by who?"
    "Erm... Sorry sir, but I don't follow."
    "You want my credit card?"
    "Yeah mate. For just two pounds a month..." Whereupon he then began telling me just how much two pound a month could realistically do for the people of Uganda.
    I had to stop him, as I had willingly tolerated this rubbish for too long and I was late. "Look, I don't want my credit cards, so I feel pretty certain neither do the Ugandans." The two pound returned to my pocket and I stormed off to my destination.

It was so much simpler in the past wasn't it. There would be that little envelope or the quiet sincere looking person with the collection tin, who either was affected by this situation or had some moral calling to do something. But now it's an industry, with a lot of uncaring, manipulative and basically capitalist people who are all trying to make a name for themselves.
    That is delicious..

I watched these chuggers at work in a seaside town..loud-mouthed youths with clipboards who were obviously targeting older people..lone older women..a place to sit down while I get your card details..it was disgusting..

I have a 5 year old niece called Hannah..she was watching the TV with me..and out came one of those begging ads..

'' Little Mbota..is 6 years old...every day she has to walk 15 miles to find water..and has to carry her own body weight 15 miles back..She lives in a mud hut..please help her!!''

Hannah looked at me..looked back at the TV and said..''Why don't they move nearer the water??''

Out of the mouth of babes..

Quote Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
    That is delicious..

I watched these chuggers at work in a seaside town..loud-mouthed youths with clipboards who were obviously targeting older people..lone older women..a place to sit down while I get your card details..it was disgusting..

I have a 5 year old niece called Hannah..she was watching the TV with me..and out came one of those begging ads..

'' Little Mbota..is 6 years old...every day she has to walk 15 miles to find water..and has to carry her own body weight 15 miles back..She lives in a mud hut..please help her!!''

Hannah looked at me..looked back at the TV and said..''Why don't they move nearer the water??''

Out of the mouth of babes..
    lol. the simplest solution is usually the most effective. I would actually write to Oxfam with that suggestion wolfie, as I'm sure their over-complicated industry has overlooked such a simple and practical solution. I would actually be interested to read the light-hearted, yet extremely technical reply you would receive. Bit like democracy, of taking a good idea and making it extremely complicated, and very, very, expensive.

lol. the simplest solution is usually the most effective. I would actually write to Oxfam with that suggestion wolfie, as I'm sure their over-complicated industry has overlooked such a simple and practical solution. I would actually be interested to read the light-hearted, yet extremely technical reply you would receive. Bit like democracy, of taking a good idea and making it extremely complicated, and very, very, expensive.
    I worked for Oxfam for a year when I was out of work..and I can honestly say it was the most corrupt..bent..self serving company I have ever worked for..

The whole thing was a scam..