Thread: NASA's Voyager leaves the solar system.

Default NASA's Voyager leaves the solar system.

"On 25 August, 2012, Voyager-1 was some 121 Astronomical Units away. That is, 121 times the separation between the Earth and the Sun."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24026153

121 Astronomical Units away? Blimey, there's 'impressive'!

"Scientifically it's a major milestone, but also historically - this is one of those journeys of exploration like circumnavigating the globe for the first time or having a footprint on the Moon for the first time. This is the first time we've begun to explore the space between the stars," he told BBC News.

'or having a footprint on the moon'!

"This is really a key milestone that we'd been hoping we would reach when we started this project over 40 years ago - that we would get a spacecraft into interstellar space," said Prof Ed Stone, the chief scientist on the . . .

It's an amazing acheivement, all with 70's tech as well - I suspect there's more computer power in my phone than there is on that thing. It's a shame the power source will run out fairly soon - it'll then be a dead lump of metal hurtling through space.

Most interesing fact I heard on the radio this morning; if the distance from the Earth to the Sun was an inch, the distance to the next nearest star would be 4 miles.

I agree - I'm beside myself with indifference! Not to mention downright disbelief at such garbage; it's almost as daft as religion, where 'believers' soak up like a dry sponge each and every 'Jesus said . . .' story they hear with blind acceptance but not an iota of proof! Nutters, or what? It'd be funny if it wasn't so bloody ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    It's a shame the power source will run out fairly soon - it'll then be a dead lump of metal hurtling through space.
    Actually, I'vde since read that the crafts "pitifully weak signals [are] just a billionth of a billionth of a billionth of a watt of power by the time they reach the Earth".

In ten years time they might not be readable at all

()

Doesnt look like we are going to get off of here in hurry does it.

I thought it was fascinating, that there is still some small chance that we could receive some information about what lies beyond our solar system. I know its lifespan has been exceeded, but nonetheless, we are entering the completely unknown now, and it would be incredible if it could send back some data on what it is passing through, or what lies ahead.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    I thought it was fascinating, that there is still some small chance that we could receive some information about what lies beyond our solar system. I know its lifespan has been exceeded, but nonetheless, we are entering the completely unknown now, and it would be incredible if it could send back some data on what it is passing through, or what lies ahead.
    I guess you and Will talk about it all the time then EMW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    I guess you and Will talk about it all the time then EMW?
    No, when he comes around for tea and crumpets, we just talk about sex and violence. That's what you are supposed to talk about these days isn't it?
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    No, when he comes around for tea and crumpets, we just talk about sex and violence. That's what you are supposed to talk about these days isn't it?
    I don't!