Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the niqab . . .

I'll bet that if I took it upon myself to routinely walk around town in a balaclava plod would soon be 'taking it extremely seriously'. (I'm just cynically getting in their 'corporate message' these days - they take everything seriously then do fuck all about them! )

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    My certainty () that the wearing of the niqab has nothing do with with religion came straight from the 'horses mouth' - a self-declared muslim called Jasmine Alibhai Brown. I'm afraid that you're one of 'the useful idiots' Pat. No offence!
    JAB may be absolutely certain of her information concerning her beliefs. But are you certain she is expert on the way other people within all sections of Islam wish to demonstrate their own beliefs? There are plenty of Christian movements, organisations and sects ranging from ultra strict to liberal with weird beliefs and practices. Judaism too.

This is just another orchestrated anti-immigrant smear to catch the headlines. The few real instances where the veil could have caused problems appear to have been resolved by everyone concerned using common sense. Seems like the way to go...

Maybe we should keep an eye on the Quebecian example, of imposing a ban on all religious symbols in public life. Even if the courts refuse to sanction this draft proposal, then Marois is going to implement it regardless.

It is a curious tale as it is not really stating whether the government sees it as an inclusive or exclusive society. Banning all religious symbols is one thing, but is it sending the right message out about religion? Is Quebec seeking to become an completely agnostic/athiest state? And what does this say about democracy for the country?

I just don't like the focus this has upon a single culture. If we are banning the niqab, and whatever else, then does that mean an English woman can't wear a headscarf? Just a conglomeration of little problems that will soon add up to one big problem.
    Last edited by eatmywords; 09-23-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

I'll bet that if I took it upon myself to routinely walk around town in a balaclava plod would soon be 'taking it extremely seriously'. (I'm just cynically getting in their 'corporate message' these days - they take everything seriously then do fuck all about them! )
    Motorcycle messengers effectively do that. They manage to cope with collections and deliveries in premises where face coverings have to be removed...

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Maybe we should keep an eye on the Quebecian example, of imposing a ban on all religious symbols in public life. Even if the courts refuse to sanction this draft proposal, then Marois is going to implement it regardless.

It is a curious tale as it is not really stating whether the government sees it as an inclusive or exclusive society. Banning all religious symbols is one thing, but is it sending the right message out about religion? Is Quebec seeking to become an completely agnostic/athiest state? And what does this say about democracy for the country?

I just don't like the focus this has upon a single culture. If we are banning the niqab, and whatever else, then does that mean an English woman can't wear a headscarf? Just a conglomeration of little problems that will soon add up to one big problem.
    No EMW, just the niqab. Headscarves are religion-neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Motorcycle messengers effectively do that. They manage to cope with collections and deliveries in premises where face coverings have to be removed...
    Christ Pat, are you for real?? There's a bit of a difference between a motorcyclist wearing a crash helmet - especially in the obvious execution of his working responsibilities () - and me walking around town in a balaclava.

Bloody 'holier-than-thou' liberals - they're the unwitting 'enemy inside'!
    Last edited by Ollyof39; 09-24-2013 at 06:55 AM.

No EMW, just the niqab. Headscarves are religion-neutral.
    And so we are trying to ban the niqab because?

Is this one okay?

Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Looks more like a hoodie to me, so no problem. I find any full-face covering intimidating, especially when it isn't necessary to wear it.

Christ Pat, are you for real?? There's a bit of a difference between a motorcyclist wearing a crash helmet - especially in the obvious execution of his working responsibilities () - and me walking around town in a balaclava.
    So all motorcyclists are wearing helmets as part of their job?

Do those (admittedly minute number of) people with a sunlight allergy who are unable to venture out in daytime with any skin showing need a special licence?

Do you know anyone who's been stopped from walking round town in a balaclava? Demonstrators are often shown wearing balaclavas and scarves.

But perhaps more to the point, are there many incidents where wearing a veil has been the key cause of harm, or a "veil situation" not been resolved by compromise and/or common sense?

Personally, such things as tobacco smoke, aggressive cyclists, litter, etc, annoy me more...