Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the niqab . . .

Yes, well there are lots of things that annoy me too, but we're not talking about them on this thread are we!

Do those (admittedly minute number of) people with a sunlight allergy who are unable to venture out in daytime with any skin showing need a special licence?
    What on earth are you talking about!! Are you saying that because they have that condition they should be allowed to wear a niqab to protect them from the sun?

Is your concern about the rights of women, or the right of belief? In effect you are acting no different to their religion, in demanding a Muslim woman be stripped of an aspect of her belief.
    Last edited by eatmywords; 09-25-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Is your concern about the rights of women, or the right of belief? In effect you are acting no different to their religion, in demanding a Muslim woman be stripped of an aspect of her belief.
    The rights of women should always have priority over the rights of religion, imho. I'm simply not convinced that all those women I see wearing these outfits have truely decided for themselves to wear them. Yeah, you will get the odd few who genuinely want to submit, but in a culture where honour crime is prevalent, I do wonder just how many are pressured into it.
    We will never know the true numbers of course, but I am happy enough to err on the side of caution, and have these things banned in public spaces

I'm afraid you're one of the 'useful idiots' EMW. It's because of those like you that we haven't had any large-scale atrocities in this country yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    I'm afraid you're one of the 'useful idiots' EMW. It's because of those like you that we haven't had any large-scale atrocities in this country yet.
    Why thank you. I do my best.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Nothing personal mate, and I'm sure you're a nice bloke. It's just that on this topic your rationale is a bit off-the-wall.

Banned

Is your concern about the rights of women, or the right of belief?
    Well we know which "right" takes priority with you every time.

In effect you are acting no different to their religion, in demanding a Muslim woman be stripped of an aspect of her belief.
    I would use the word "liberated" rather than "stripped" in that sentence. Lets be honest here. Most women who wear this hideous garment do so because they are brainwashed from birth into the belief that they are inferior to men, and are all too aware of the consequences of any defiance against this expection - ranging from social/family exclusion to violence and even honour killing.

If a religious group suddenly decided that it was against their beliefs to wear any clothes at all in public, would you campaign for the indecency laws to be abolished to allow this group to lawfully enact an aspect of their belief? What if they decided that all children born on a Monday should be sacrified to propitiate their God? Why would you want to "strip them of an aspect of their belief"? Otherwise, why do you and your left-wing comrades insist on giving the beliefs of Muslims your special protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Northumbrian View Post
    Well we know which "right" takes priority with you every time.

I would use the word "liberated" rather than "stripped" in that sentence. Lets be honest here. Most women who wear this hideous garment do so because they are brainwashed from birth into the belief that they are inferior to men, and are all too aware of the consequences of any defiance against this expection - ranging from social/family exclusion to violence and even honour killing.

If a religious group suddenly decided that it was against their beliefs to wear any clothes at all in public, would you campaign for the indecency laws to be abolished to allow this group to lawfully enact an aspect of their belief? What if they decided that all children born on a Monday should be sacrified to propitiate their God? Why would you want to "strip them of an aspect of their belief"? Otherwise, why do you and your left-wing comrades insist on giving the beliefs of Muslims your special protection?
    Currently, wearing a veil or the full black robe is not illegal. The far-fetched examples you cite, would be. Nobody needs to break any law to accommodate the veil in normal life...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Currently, wearing a veil or the full black robe is not illegal. The far-fetched examples you cite, would be. Nobody needs to break any law to accommodate the veil in normal life...
    Why is covering yourself from head to toe in cloth any more extreme than wearing no clothes whatsoever? Both are extreme and both are offensive to the majority of the population. Personally, I am considerably less offended by the sight of public nudity than I am by the sight of the niqab.

There is absolutely no reason why the niqab should not be banned. It would send a powerful message out that this country does not tolerate mysogenistic belief systems, and that we expect our guests to respect our culture and values. Perhaps some of the more conservative muslims around the world who think there is a welcome here in the UK might be forced to think twice. That would not be a bad thing.

Sadly, however, our current mainstream politicians are so terrified of Europe and the human rights brigade that I doubt they would ever consider such a sensible measure.