Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Sad times

  1. #1
    Administrator Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.
    Posts
    2,319

    Default Sad times

    This story is old now, but I've only just found it.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8631665.html

    Has the UK really sunk so low that we now have police depriving the homeless of the things they need to keep them warm? I need to find out more on how this story panned out. But it sickens me to the core, the implication in the article is that it was a call by one of our new police commissioners. Wouldn't be surprised, Tory policy has a way of backfiring like that.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    410

    Default

    "Chief Inspector John Fish told the Ilford Recorder: “The public rely on the police blah, blah."
    I wouldn't rely on the police for anything; I wouldn't even call them if I was being burgled or otherwise intimidated. They're fucking useless and that's all there is to it. Not only that but they're dumb too - especially the higher ranks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Rook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This story is old now, but I've only just found it.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-8631665.html

    Has the UK really sunk so low that we now have police depriving the homeless of the things they need to keep them warm? I need to find out more on how this story panned out. But it sickens me to the core, the implication in the article is that it was a call by one of our new police commissioners. Wouldn't be surprised, Tory policy has a way of backfiring like that.
    Terrible story, but London doesn't have an elected commissioner like the rest of the UK

  4. #4
    Super Moderator eatmywords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kingston upon Hull
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    If you consider the rise on free-work placements and 0-hour contracts added to this, you'd think we lived in a totalitarian state. But of course we don't, because the poor and homeless have the vote just like anyone else, don't they. Good to know liberty works in such an even-handed way.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Terrible story, but London doesn't have an elected commissioner like the rest of the UK
    True, so doesn,t the buck stop with Boris, when it comes to London, policing?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator eatmywords's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Kingston upon Hull
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    True, so doesn,t the buck stop with Boris, when it comes to London, policing?
    And didn't Boris initially ignore those pesky phone-tapping and bribery claims?
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    True, so doesn,t the buck stop with Boris, when it comes to London, policing?
    Technically yes, but as I oppose the politicisation of the police, I wouldn't like to blame Boris. The blame should be squarely placed on the shoulders on the police chief in charge of the operation and his superiors.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    And didn't Boris initially ignore those pesky phone-tapping and bribery claims?
    Ignore them in a personal capacity or as Mayor of London? AFAIK - but please correct me - the Mayor of London can not instigate police investigations (thank fuck)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Ignore them in a personal capacity or as Mayor of London? AFAIK - but please correct me - the Mayor of London can not instigate police investigations (thank fuck)
    Yes, but he likes to take credit when crime figures are down, which implies that he has enough input to have made a difference to those figures, which in turn implies he can point the police in certain directions. I,d be happy to say he gets some calls right , some wrong, but the over all situation is that he has a lot of say over personel, and operational priorities. Clearing up some of the garbage these unfortunates are forced to gather, does help to sanitize their existence to the degree one could be excused for not realising the full extent of their problem. And that is out of order, because they are there, and who ever you blame its a cheap shot of the worst type.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    Yes, but he likes to take credit when crime figures are down, which implies that he has enough input to have made a difference to those figures, which in turn implies he can point the police in certain directions. I,d be happy to say he gets some calls right , some wrong, but the over all situation is that he has a lot of say over personel, and operational priorities.
    Not to the extent he can tell the police to investigate X or Y though. He can put pressure on them to do more patrolling, or prioritise shop lifters in tourist spots or gun crime etc, but that pressure comes in the form of meetings with the police, who are often in agreement where the priorities need to be. I do not think he has the power to tell the police what specific events to investigate - I don't even think the newly elected commissioners can do that?

    (this is just my own take ont he subject, I'd be happy to be proved wrong)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •