Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sad times

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Ignore them in a personal capacity or as Mayor of London? AFAIK - but please correct me - the Mayor of London can not instigate police investigations (thank fuck)
    His council members could, and I would imagine it was kicked up to him to make an executive decision.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    Ignore them in a personal capacity or as Mayor of London? AFAIK - but please correct me - the Mayor of London can not instigate police investigations (thank fuck)
    His council members could, and I would imagine it was kicked up to him to make an executive decision.
    Can they? There is nothing I have seen which suggests the mayor (or his "council") could instigate police investigations, I would love to see evidence to the contrary though.

(PS, what do you mean by his council? The GLA?)

Not to the extent he can tell the police to investigate X or Y though. He can put pressure on them to do more patrolling, or prioritise shop lifters in tourist spots or gun crime etc, but that pressure comes in the form of meetings with the police, who are often in agreement where the priorities need to be. I do not think he has the power to tell the police what specific events to investigate - I don't even think the newly elected commissioners can do that?

(this is just my own take ont he subject, I'd be happy to be proved wrong)
    I really don,t know what the law is regarding vagrancy in this day and age, but I would hope that they, the homeless involved in this, and indeed homeless people everywhere, are not considered to be breaking the law ,if they A become homeless and B make crude attempts to stay as warm as possible. So hopefully an investigation should not be needed.
    However, pressure and priorities, thats different, in these circumstances both must have come to the fore. And it is entirely right to ask whose interests , did an action of this sort , actually help the most? As said this was nothing more than a clean up . So I ask who,s worry should that have been. The Police, or The Mayors?
    Last edited by Mack; 10-18-2013 at 05:16 PM.