Thread: UK nuclear reactors to be owned by China

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Default UK nuclear reactors to be owned by China

Just in case you thought we weren't allowing enough foreign countries benefiting from raping the UK on its energy bills, then sending the profits abroad. Our genius leaders want to hand over control of future UK power supplies to China.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24561325

Am I going mad? Exactly how is privatisation benefiting the public again?It's been bad enough being the US's poodle, what will things be like when we're China's?
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Building new nuclear power stations is expensive. The state is wary of coughing up the money and private industry has also backed away. Renewables are a long way from having a major impact and this seems a good way of attracting the money into much-needed and long-overdue non-fossil-fuelled power generation. It might also speed up China's phasing out dirty coal and installing nuclear too (but hopefully away from fault lines and Tsuami prone coasts).

Over the years, UK companies have invested millions/billions in China (in their own interests, admittedly). Now's the time to get some of it back...
    Last edited by Patman Post; 10-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.

I don't really see the problem. Yeah, ideally I'd love it if we had British companies strong enough to invest this kind of money, but we apparantly do not. Hence the Chinese (and Japanese and South Koreans).

Perhaps we should ignore the European Union pollution directives and restart our coal powered machines? I know the article states that gas is expensive at the minute, but can it really be as expense as nucleur? And with shale gas coming online around the world in the years to come, I assume gas prices will drop soon)ish) . .

Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    Building new nuclear power stations is expensive. The state is wary of coughing up the money and private industry has also backed away. Renewables are a long way from having a major impact and this seems a good way of attracting the money into much-needed and long-overdue non-fossil-fuelled power generation. It might also speed up China's phasing out dirty coal and installing nuclear too (but hopefully away from fault lines and Tsuami prone coasts).

Over the years, UK companies have invested millions/billions in China (in their own interests, admittedly). Now's the time to get some of it back...
    Yes, in the words of a well known song,( "How long has this been going on?") Some would say since Maggie, but in truth, its been happening longer than that. She just gave it some real legs , speeding the process up.
    The government hasnt got enough money , it says. Home grown investors and industrialists, as they have done for years now won,t back the country they say they love more than any of the rest of us can. Whilst all the time as you say investing massively, not just in China, but all over the world. Fine they make a lot of money, but then what do they do with it? Well they don,t like investing to much in the country that supports their fat rich arses,do they. The people of this country, have been frog marched into a hopeless reliance on all and sundery, when in the words of yet another song,("We used to have it all",) We had the technologies. We had nuclear, remember Concorde? Great architects, Civil engineers, a people that could win World Wars. And yet in every area we fell behind, Motorways, Nuclear, Aircraft, HS Rail. Every area has suffered , because the people who have the money, who like to boast that we are a rich nation have happily created a new nation, one made of peoples from around the world, financed by peoples from around the world, making up an economy, referred to as a service based economy. And lets face it, that sums it up, because if we do little else, and the fact is we do little else now, we do remain in service to them.

I suppose the thinking is maybe the Chinese can lower prices, while, in tow, lower wages? After all that's what the Chinese are good at, keeping wages low.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    I don't really see the problem. Yeah, ideally I'd love it if we had British companies strong enough to invest this kind of money, but we apparantly do not. Hence the Chinese (and Japanese and South Koreans).

Perhaps we should ignore the European Union pollution directives and restart our coal powered machines? I know the article states that gas is expensive at the minute, but can it really be as expense as nucleur? And with shale gas coming online around the world in the years to come, I assume gas prices will drop soon)ish) . .

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    I suppose the thinking is maybe the Chinese can lower prices, while, in tow, lower wages? After all that's what the Chinese are good at, keeping wages low.
    Going by the fact that the government have agreed to pay twice the present going rate for electricity produced in ten years time, suggests that costs are not going to be kept down to any great degree.
    As for wages, they are the part of this, that are the key to the whole problem. The problem at this moment is not just high power costs for the consumer, its the static (sometimes negative) nature,of the consumers incomes.This is a situation that must change dramatically, not just for now, but in the near future. If it doesn,t the outcome is not easy to stomach but frightenly obvious all the same.
    What is amazing, is the fact that essentials in all of our costs for living have gone up in the last few years by as much as 30% some times more. Wages minimal, for many zero.