Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: David Cameron Upholds Spying

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    You make some good points, but don't you think the US is verging on acute paranoia - especially when it monitors the personal phone calls of the leaders of friendly countries? And as for their drone attack in Pakistan in recent days, I think the US isn't just paranoid, it has a serious judgemental problem too. Then again - if Pakistan believes the Taliban will be amenable for negotiating anything, it has a serious judgemental problem too!! Interesting times!
    I would say schizophrenic. I have noticed that Americans, when asked a question, they will reply "Yes. No". This doesn't sound like a people in full control of their judgements.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

Keep whipping the Yanks, Its so easy to do. I just wonder what would be the reaction if a certain, Snowdoski, fled to New york, after breaching Russian , or maybe Chinese, syba security. I get the feeling it would soon be summed up as, ah well what do you expect. If you believe that the US and us for that matter have no enemies, then, you are almost certainly wrong, but its excusable. But if you believe that its wrong for the US and us to be capable of being just as ruthless as our enemies, then its foolish,and not exceptable. We didn,t beat Hitler, because we were, Good and right. We beat him because we were not nastier in our ideals, but in the end we were nastier in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by eatmywords View Post
    I would say schizophrenic. I have noticed that Americans, when asked a question, they will reply "Yes. No". This doesn't sound like a people in full control of their judgements.
    It's becoming a habit here too - although it's more a case of "Yeah. No!" And the more I listen to Today, the more it seems that increasingly, the first word in answer to a question is "So . . . . " The crap we have to put up with these days blah, blah, bloody blah!!

PS shouldn't : hihi : be :haha:?
    Last edited by Ollyof39; 11-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.

The yanks are a bloody sight dumber than we are, and that takes some doing!!

That's in reply to 12.

You make some good points, but don't you think the US is verging on acute paranoia - especially when it monitors the personal phone calls of the leaders of friendly countries?
    The leaders are exactly the ones they are 'right' (from an espionage pov) to monitor. Let's not forget who Germany is: they are the main leader in a new currency which had/has(?) the potential to overtake the dollar as the reserve, they are closer to the Russians (gas wise especially) than the US would perhaps like, they oppose Turkish membership of the EU (something that the Yanks are very keen on), they absented (effectively an opposition to US eyes) to Western attacks on Libya . . . There are more I'm sure. But reasons like this - where the US and Germany are split on major policies - is exactly the kind of thing the US want info on. And of course, they want info on there true positions regarding the (seeminlgy neverending) US-EU trade agreement talks

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    The leaders are exactly the ones they are 'right' (from an espionage pov) to monitor. Let's not forget who Germany is: they are the main leader in a new currency which had/has(?) the potential to overtake the dollar as the reserve, they are closer to the Russians (gas wise especially) than the US would perhaps like, they oppose Turkish membership of the EU (something that the Yanks are very keen on), they absented (effectively an opposition to US eyes) to Western attacks on Libya . . . There are more I'm sure. But reasons like this - where the US and Germany are split on major policies - is exactly the kind of thing the US want info on. And of course, they want info on there true positions regarding the (seeminlgy neverending) US-EU trade agreement talks
    All points taken on board - although I have to say that I don't think the yanks have the acumen to even think about that side of it. If they did find out that Merkel was up to some nefarious stuff, it would be more by accident than design!

All points taken on board - although I have to say that I don't think the yanks have the acumen to even think about that side of it. If they did find out that Merkel was up to some nefarious stuff, it would be more by accident than design!
    You seem to be confusing your "average American" with some of their best and brightest - who are extremely bright indeed.

The yanks are a bloody sight dumber than we are, and that takes some doing!!

That's in reply to 12.
    So dumb they were able to milk us dry whilst becoming our bestest friend, and going on to be no 1 power in the world. They do whats best for them, if that means they can make it seem like its good for you as well, then more the merrier. They will watch every move you make, even when they are not supposed to be in the room. This applies to all their so called allies, and its what we would do also. I hope. Going by the way they went about it, Nazi Germany, and Japan, thought they were dumb, and look what happened to them.

They didn't think they were dumb, they thought they wouldn't get involved! The entire western hemisphere has got dumb actually and that's why Islam's on the move. I'd argue that might be a good thing actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    You seem to be confusing your "average American" with some of their best and brightest - who are extremely bright indeed.

Shame none of them are in the White House and the Pentagon then!!