Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: BBC and warped statistics

  1. #1

    Default BBC and warped statistics

    "Immigrants are 45% less likely to claim benefits than people who were born in this country", trumpeted the BBC with a proud flourish yesterday. Top of the News no less!

    What sort of statistic is THAT? Of course less will claim benefits : most of them come here specifically TO work, and even have jobs ready, whether it's fruit picking or neuro surgery.

    The only important statistics are how MANY (in hundreds of thousands, NOT percentages) arrive with no work or intention of it, how MANY (ditto) claim benefit, and how MUCH in £billions it costs US.

    Trust the BBC to use a comparative percentage, void of any mathematical sense, to promote their left-wing pro-immigration pro-EU agenda. I'll tell you what sort of statistic it is - it's the sort to try and convince us that being swamped by 100,000's of Bulgarians and Romanians will be good for us. Nice try.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    410

    Default

    The BBC is the propaganda mouthpiece of politicians. It'll say what they tell it to say, otherwise the big cheeses won't get their gongs when they leave to spend more time with their money!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molesworth1 View Post
    "Immigrants are 45% less likely to claim benefits than people who were born in this country", trumpeted the BBC with a proud flourish yesterday. Top of the News no less!

    What sort of statistic is THAT? Of course less will claim benefits : most of them come here specifically TO work, and even have jobs ready, whether it's fruit picking or neuro surgery.

    The only important statistics are how MANY (in hundreds of thousands, NOT percentages) arrive with no work or intention of it, how MANY (ditto) claim benefit, and how MUCH in £billions it costs US.

    Trust the BBC to use a comparative percentage, void of any mathematical sense, to promote their left-wing pro-immigration pro-EU agenda. I'll tell you what sort of statistic it is - it's the sort to try and convince us that being swamped by 100,000's of Bulgarians and Romanians will be good for us. Nice try.
    Do you mean you don,t bump into rubbish stats like that when you tune into all the other channels and news papers? The only way the BBC could ever keep us all happy, would be if it never gave out any information. But if it did that, we would have only the mouth pieces of corporate and various other wealthy Tory backing owners to rely on . Cameron ,and Co substitute that dream for a wet one.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    This item, which is based on a study by the University of London. Is now prominent on the BT news page. Does that mean BT are also in the business of pumping left-wing agendas as well? The figures are interesting to say the least, but not if you are anti EU, and thats just how it goes.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    This item, which is based on a study by the University of London. Is now prominent on the BT news page. Does that mean BT are also in the business of pumping left-wing agendas as well? The figures are interesting to say the least, but not if you are anti EU, and thats just how it goes.
    I can understand the BBC latching onto this in their eagerness to take a swing at anything that puts Britain and the British first. They should have looked at these, as you say yourself, 'rubbish stats', before using them as part of their soft propaganda.
    But what is really hard to understand is how an establishment of further education, a university no less for goodness sake, can publish this drivel, what amounts to statistical shite.
    I don't mind the BBC giving out information, just so long as they base statements of fact on hard meaningful data for a change.
    Having said that, their amateurish ineptitude at reporting the truth does give us a bit of a laugh I suppose.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    London N16
    Posts
    675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    The BBC is the propaganda mouthpiece of politicians. It'll say what they tell it to say, otherwise the big cheeses won't get their gongs when they leave to spend more time with their money!
    The BBC was doing its job: reporting the results of a survey by University College, and countering it with a response by Migration Watch in the same item. But in their usual fashion, a few blinkered individuals on either side of the argument attack the messenger...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patman Post View Post
    The BBC was doing its job: reporting the results of a survey by University College, and countering it with a response by Migration Watch in the same item. But in their usual fashion, a few blinkered individuals on either side of the argument attack the messenger...
    I didn't hear the response by Migration Watch, perhaps it was in later bulletins. What I saw was the BBC news swallowing the Univ Coll 'data' and 'analysis', and regurgitating it whole, unquestioningly, and far too willingly.
    In this case the University had cobbled together some dubious data comparing two populations of different origin, culture, circumstance, and motives for working/not working. In fact it compared one whole population, (indigenous Brits) with a small part (immigrants) of a much larger population. This small part is mostly by definition highly motivated, with no intention of claiming benefits, although with a minority out to do
    just that.
    That any university comes up with this, and that any news organisation accepts it, beggars belief.
    The news headlines should have been : University wastes time and resources doing pointless survey, using flawed statistics, and arriving at a useless and nonsensical conclusion. I wouldn't expect to see this tripe even in the Mirror quite frankly.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by molesworth1 View Post
    "Immigrants are 45% less likely to claim benefits than people who were born in this country", trumpeted the BBC with a proud flourish yesterday. Top of the News no less!

    What sort of statistic i...............................
    ....................NY (in hundreds of thousands, NOT percentages) arrive with no work or intention of it, how MANY (ditto) claim benefit, and how MUCH in £billions it costs US.

    Trust the BBC to use a comparative percentage, void of any mathematical sense, to promote their left-wing pro-immigration pro-EU agenda. I'll tell you what sort of statistic it is - it's the sort to try and convince us that being swamped by 100,000's of Bulgarians and Romanians will be good for us. Nice try.
    This whole topic is more often than not looked at through biased eyes. There is a certain amount of xenophobia in all of us. This I believe to be a part of our genetic make up. There is however evidence that migration to this country has a benefit to the economy.

    If anybody would care to take the time to read this academic paper http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/14318/1/14318.pdf then tell me otherwise. I would like to see a similarly valid document to the contrary.

    To save you all reading the whole article I have a choice snippet, with references for additional confirmation of the facts.

    1. Research for the British Home Office (Gott and Johnston 2002) recently suggested, for example, that
    immigrants to the UK make a positive net contribution to British public finances.


    The interpretation by the public however on the effect on the economy and reality are that this depends on your level of education and the skills you have.

    Please see the tables on pages 18 and 19.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    This whole topic is more often than not looked at through biased eyes. There is a certain amount of xenophobia in all of us. This I believe to be a part of our genetic make up


    There is however evidence that migration to this country has a benefit to the economy.
    But is it commensurate with the actually immigration figures? In other words, is there a net benefit? I know the Great and the Gormless and exploitative minimum wage-paying employers keep telling us there is, but I would say there's a net deficit. Think 'numbers'?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Sid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post




    But is it commensurate with the actually immigration figures? In other words, is there a net benefit? I know the Great and the Gormless and exploitative minimum wage-paying employers keep telling us there is, but I would say there's a net deficit. Think 'numbers'?
    Again you know better than economists and tax accountants. Amazing!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •