Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swedish Prison Paradigm

Default Swedish Prison Paradigm

Sweden has been experiencing a fall of about 1% a year in its prison population, which has allowed the government to sell some of its prisons or reassign them for other governmental duties. Although there is no real reason why the prison population has dropped so markedly in recent years, it is considered a more lenient attitude towards drug sentencing has been an attribute for the fall in prison numbers.

Sweden equally places more emphasis upon rehabilitation rather than more stringent measures, and low category crime is meted out with probationary sentencing rather than a prison sentence. Whether this will send out the wrong message to criminals in Sweden remains to be seen, but if too much leniency is given and a trend of petty crime rises, Sweden may not have the infrastructure to reverse this trend.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...mates-plummets
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

I think our re-offending figure is because it's easier to get drugs inside than it is outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyof39 View Post
    I think our re-offending figure is because it's easier to get drugs inside than it is outside.
    No it isn't!

I think the approach we take is completely wrong. Drugs should be dealt with from an educational point of view and a medical one. This has worked in Portugal as the figures demonstrate. It now appears from this that a different approach to ours is working in another country.

Surely someone in this country can see a change is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    No it isn't!

I think the approach we take is completely wrong. Drugs should be dealt with from an educational point of view and a medical one. This has worked in Portugal as the figures demonstrate. It now appears from this that a different approach to ours is working in another country.

Surely someone in this country can see a change is needed.
    Another resounding success in Portugal - this time in the penal system? They seem to get everything right so I wonder if they can 'educate' ( ) alcoholics onto the straight and narrow?? I think we should be told! Right, let's find those er, oh yes, figures!

Lock 'em up and throw away the key - that's the way to do it!!

Another resounding success in Portugal - this time in the penal system? They seem to get everything right so I wonder if they can 'educate' ( ) alcoholics onto the straight and narrow?? I think we should be told! Right, let's find those er, oh yes, figures!
    It's a little funny, you ask for figures and I provide them. You then don't have a response of any validity and resort to child like comments as above. Rather pointless exercise from my point of view. A little like trying to explain the size of the universe to a small child.

Lock 'em up and throw away the key - that's the way to do it!!
    This approach has worked in America where they do this. They have virtually no crime now do they?

This approach has worked in America where they do this. They have virtually no crime now do they?
    I think America's problem is that the prison service has become an industry and it has become an extremely lucrative industry. We are not just talking about the prisons themselves, with the services they provide, but also the interim services, such as catering, surveillance technology, clothing, and other such private enterprises which all feed into the prison complex system. One starts to wonder whether government is the prime cause of perpetuating this system, as a similar trend as Sweden would necessitate a significant fall, not just in the prison numbers, but a decline in the economic system, putting at risk all these businesses. As a journalist said the US prison system is a , "corrupt human-warehousing operation that combines the worst qualities of government (its power to coerce) and private enterprise (greed)"

America does not seem to be looking to rehabilitate offenders, particularly drug users, and they comprise the greatest proportion of inmates. Equally the greater proportion of human right violations stem from the abuses coming from the prison system, which would infer the US prison system is something out of the Middle Ages rather than a reformist system designed to promote a better person in a better society. The recidivism rate in 2007 comprised nearly 2 million former inmates, and in 1994 the rate of former inmates returning to prison was nearly 50% which does not really indicate the prison service works too well if we add that number to new criminals entering the system.

It is one thing to say throw away the key, but if the social and economic conditions drive the majority of people into the prison system, then the US are clearly are focussed on prevention rather than cure.

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=tp&tid=17
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

It's a little funny, you ask for figures and I provide them.
    Well you said 'This has worked in Portugal as the figures demonstrate', but don't give a source for it.

You then don't have a response of any validity and resort to child like comments as above.
    What, the 'lock 'em up and throw away the key' remark? What's childish about that - it's what should happen! You can't 'educate' addicts out of their several addictions I'm afraid; only deprivation can do that.

If you think there's a better way to reduce serious crime in America than that draconian penal code, I'm the sure yanks would be very interested to hear what it is.