Thread: Get a job! Fill in an online form

Default Get a job! Fill in an online form

Just been doing some teaching to assist adults in finding a job.
    It's been quite eye opening as I have always managed to get someone to pay me to do things and am self employed as well as employed, (yes I do have more than one job).
    But have been quite surprised at the hurdles that people who wish to get a job have to jump through these days. For instamce one of my clients is a gentleman who is well educated but the skill that he has is no longer done in any significant amount in the UK these days. It's all been shipped abroad. So he was applying for a job as a cleaner. He had to apply for it online, there was no alternative. So I am teaching him how to browse websites and fill in online forms. Sadly he is not the only client who is facing this problem.
    As a farmer I know that pretty soon all the forms we have to fill in to keep DEFRA and all the other farming organisations happy will be online and not paper based. I know some farmers who are so far away from the telephone exchange they still struggle with dial up as broadband is just not going to happen for them unless they shell out 30 a month for satellite broadband.

So what I am getting around to saying by citing two examples is what happened to the grand campaigns of a few years ago against digital exclusion?
    Did organisations pay a time limited 'lip service' to it and then revert to the "we'll ask everyone to do it only online 'cause everyone can use a computer can't they?" idea.
    Well not everyone can:
    a) use a computer, (elderly people, people with learning disabilities, people with no interest in computers)
    b) get access to a decent broadband service, (Rural communities, disadvantaged communities)
    c) get access to a computer

So isn't it about time these organisations had a back up plan for these people who are going to be more and more excluded as these organisations only allow online access for their services?

There you are:

Discuss

Mr Muck

Just another frightening example of , goverment, authority, using everything in their power to distance themselves from the lower reaches of society. Most of those you mention are of only limited concern for them. In the case of the old , the attitude is," who cares, they will soon be gone." for the rest , it pays to have some at a distinct disadvantage, so leave it be. Also they always seem to be able to get someone from Europe or elsewhere that can use a computer, so what the hell.

Quite a cynical post Mack, but the older I get the more I move in that direction also, particularly with this shower who are in charge at the moment. I thought it was bad for young'uns in the eighties but I'm just glad I'm not a young person now.
    The really annoying thing is, the people who are making most of these decisions are likely to be of my generation. Anyway I'll tootle on as I have some work to do.

REgards,

Mr Muck

I remember when Blair lauded that the whole of the UK will be online by 2010, and he set up a specific government programme to make this wonderful idea a reality. Now, I was a university at the time and thought, "Hmm, we could get free broadband here, like the schools, colleges and universities, so let's ring that number and save some money!"

I rang the number and all the government were offering was a disc "telling" you how to get online. Nice spin.

I think that's the nature of progress, to leave behind swathes of people who can't fit into the new modes of life. If you consider the past, there was always something that would consume the unemployed, even the under-employed; farming, textiles, mining, ship-building, etc. Now it seems the employer is firmly in charge, and is dictating to the labour market. Consider that 250,000 young adults, each year, graduate with some form of degree, and they will undoubtedly be pushing out those above; even those below. There is no stability or cohesion in the labour market, except in the public services of course, because they have a very strong and untouched union.
    Last edited by eatmywords; 02-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
    Faced with certain disaster, defiance is the only answer.

The cynic in me say,s that I should add. Even for people who have the ability to , hunt for and apply on line for work, there still remains the soul crushing lack of any response, from so many Firms. who are hidding their souls behind the computer which has,nt got one .
    I agree Muck, I am being cynical about this. But I find myself being just as cynical, if reviewing the old day,s when the lads turned up at the docks every morning, only to be turned away at the gate. The difference is of course nobody but people like you actually witness whats happening, it,s not on the street any more.