Thread: Crimea votes to return to Russia

Default Crimea votes to return to Russia

It would be nice to believe the fantasy that Putin wants to reunite all Russian speakers under the Russian flag, but of course it is all about Russia's security.

It isn't nice to believe that fantasy as you put it. It would basically mean the reformation of the Soviet Union and I don't think that is a good idea at all.

The problem in Crimea is very difficult to manage, on the one hand, there are a lot of people who are genuinely wanting to join Russia. Plenty of Crimeans are very loyal to Russia and of course people should have the right to self-determination. The problem is Crimea has voted at gun point. Whether they truly voted to join Russia can't be known while a referendum is held under those circumstances. It can only be through a fully democratic and fear free referendum sanctioned by both the governments of Ukraine and Crimea that a split (and subsequent join) may happen.

Now of course that puts too much power with the Ukrainian government who could effectively veto the process. However, with the amount of international scrutiny and pressure I believe there can be a fair process for all sides where self-determination is valued above Russia's or indeed the EU's interests.

It would be best for 'the west' if Crimea remained a part of Ukraine, and a pro-EU government was in place. That however, is a different matter!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Why should I?

We must wait to hear Vladimir Putin's speech today, but I believe he is getting rather paranoid about Ukraine. He does not want them to join the EU and become part of NATO. It was always about Ukraine, not Crimea.

It wouldn't,t do any harm if Ukraine now had an election? Putin has taken advantage of the fact that nothing up to now in Ukraine, can be strictly considered democratic. What has happened so far, has been totally predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    It wouldn't,t do any harm if Ukraine now had an election? Putin has taken advantage of the fact that nothing up to now in Ukraine, can be strictly considered democratic. What has happened so far, has been totally predictable.
    Yes, and with the worsening situation in Ukraine comes the prospect of Russian intervention. What can America and Europe do? Not alot.

There will never be peace in Ukraine while the present government in Kiev remains in power. Time is running out for Ukraine.