Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positve discrimination.

Default Positve discrimination.

I see on the bbc news website that forty muslim teanagers are on a weekend with the army doing assult courses and generally seeing what the army is about. It is supposedly only for muslim kids. Can anyone tell me why? And is this not positve discrimination ? Have tried to link it but it wont let me. PS its under England then top west midland stories.
    Last edited by ahwell; 11-04-2006 at 02:29 PM.

Resident Trotskyist David Courtney's Avatar

There's a disproportionately small number of Muslims in the army. This is not positive discrimination, since they aren't being chosen over none-Muslims.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

I've never agreed with positive discrimination, because it doesn't exist, there is only negative discrimination.

The way it should work, is that if someone feels they have been discriminated against because of their race, then they should be able to report it. Perhaps to a dedicated authority should be set up to deal with such issues, and the authority which forces discrimination can be removed.

But forcing companies to employ people over others simply because of the colour of their skin, is wrong. There was the case in the papers recently, about a certain police force which deliberately turned down any job applications from anyone who was white. Like all things politically correct, this only causes resentment. What is more, it potentially means that companies are forced in a position to employ someone who wasn't the best person for the job.

I don't know enough about the above story, but if that is purely the case, that is also wrong. Another question is as well, have non-white people ever actually asked to be given special treatment? I suspect not.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Living in a Dictatorship, and finding little difference to a democracy.

Just add as well, positive discrimination gives racists more ammunition then anything else I can think of too.
    Admin Will - Think for yourself, it hasn't been banned, yet.
    "When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Just add as well, positive discrimination gives racists more ammunition then anything else I can think of too.

It makes people racist.

I agree there is no thing as posotive decrimination it is all negative. There have also been a couple of fire sevices that have been taken to court by individuals. One in the North and one in the west country for doing the same thing. Government hand out targets to local brigades and if they dont meet them..............

[QUOTE=Will;16301]

But forcing companies to employ people over others simply because of the colour of their skin, is wrong. There was the case in the papers recently, about a certain police force which deliberately turned down any job applications from anyone who was white. Like all things politically correct, this only causes resentment. What is more, it potentially means that companies are forced in a position to employ someone who wasn't the best person for the job.

QUOTE]

I remember the story, i think, and heard one of the applicants on radio. He had received a letter explaining that all spaces at the academy were taken. The facts were leaked to the press that people from ethnic minorities were priority for acceptance into the academy, never mind into the actual force, but this would obviously follow.

The way the powers that be tried to cover this move up in the first place is enough to enrage the general public. Not towards the minorities, although some would dive on it for their own good, but towards the "system" that is running this country.

Your right Skinny its their system that is wrong. One of the incidents i mentioned occurred when a retained Fireman applied for a wholetime post( i still say fireman as firefighter sounds far too dramatic) In case you dont know retained are part timers. The bloke passed all the exams and physical tests and would have been a good employee to take on as he was also virtually trained. He was turned down, however a woman who didnt attain the required results as he was taken on. Now he didnt know she had been taken on at that time. This is where management were so short sighted. He carried on with his part time duties and after a few months the county had a large fire which called for a large amount of appliances and who do you think he saw on the fireground in her wholtime capacity ? Result? he sued the fire authority and won. Quite rightly so.

What is more, it potentially means that companies are forced in a position to employ someone who wasn't the best person for the job.
    Equal Opportunites! At least in London, you do not have to be qualified for the job under this banner. It stinks.....

He carried on with his part time duties and after a few months the county had a large fire which called for a large amount of appliances and who do you think he saw on the fireground in her wholtime capacity ? Result? he sued the fire authority and won. Quite rightly so.
    Good for him. I would have done just the same.